Table of ContentsIntroductionProperties of BNP2Key PropertiesApplications Semiconductors Solar High Vacuum
Aerospace / Defence Nuclear
Since the properties of BNP2 are identical to that of Shapal M and it is an economic
alternative, it can be treated and machined similarly. Grades of ceramic
have been developed that can be machined but they are not suitable for all
engineering applications because of their low flexural strength. BNP2 has been
developed as a direct equivalent to Shapel M soft.
Properties of BNP2
a machinable ceramic which provides both high mechanical strength and thermal
conductivity. The material has a composite sintered body of AlN and BN. This
material has exclusive characteristics, which make it suitable for a wide range
of applications. The material has been made available in block, rods, sheets and
finished components by Multi-lab. High precision tight tolerance parts can be
machined using a wide range of techniques including drilling, grinding, turning
The thermal conductivity of BNP2 is
approximately five times that of alumina, with a flexural strength of
30kg/mm2 which is comparable to that of alumina. BNP2 maintains
a low dielectric loss and also has an extremely high purity level.
The key properties of BNP2 machinable aluminum nitride include the following:
- Excellent electrical insulation
- Low thermal expansion
- Low dielectric loss
- Excellent high temperature properties
- Machinable close tolerance components
- Suitability for vacuum applications
BNP2 machinable aluminum nitride finds application in a large number of sectors:
- High Vacuum
- Nuclear industry
These application areas are expanded upon in the following sections.
- OEM System parts
- Precision formers.
- High voltage insulators on process equipment.
- Process parts for diffusion furnace
- Construction components in panel assembly
- Laser manufacturing
- Spacers, cavities and reflectors in laser assemblies.
- Thermal seals in high temperature processing equipment
- Coil supports and vacuum feed-throughs
Aerospace / Defence
- Retaining rings on hinges, windows and doors for USA space program.
- Jet engine support lugs
- Thermal reflector plates
- Missile retaining plates
- Measurement target components
- Fixtures and reference substrates in power generation
Multi-Lab is one of the leading High Purity Natural and Synthetic Quartz
Glass distributors in Europe. Multi-Lab has always been a defining force in the
sale and fabrication of quartz glass within the Semiconductor, Fibre Optic and
They are also able to manufacture a range of components to customer
specification in various other technical ceramics such as alumina, zirconia,
silicon carbide, steatite, boron nitride, cordierite, silicon nitride and
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from
materials provided by Multi-Lab.
For more information on this source, please visit Multi-Lab.