ASM Handbook Volume 20: Materials Selection and Design
Click here for further information
Whether you're a seasoned engineering professional, an engineer just getting into the world of engineering, a nontechnical person involved in some aspect of manufacturing a product, or an engineering student with an eye on a bright future in industry, you will benefit from the information in Materials Selection and Design.
Materials Selection and Design is a comprehensive reference on the basic concepts, methodologies, and information sources dealing with materials selection and its integration with engineering design processes. It makes the connection between design and materials engineering.
Contents include contributions from 100+ experts from industry and universities involved with design, materials selection, and manufacturing.
Discusses conceptual and configuration design of products and assemblies Provides specific design/materials selection situations (such as designing for fatigue resistance, fracture toughness, corrosion and wear resistance, etc.)
- Contains manufacturing aspects of design including effects of processing/manufacturing on materials and their influence on the design and materials selection process
- Addresses metals, ceramics, polymers, and composites
- Provides many case histories and examplesMake the connection
- Product engineering/design, materials selection, and manufacturing are the result of a team effort in today's manufacturing world. Find out how all the pieces fit together.
- What is the role of the materials engineer in the design process?
- How does the materials engineer work with and support others throughout the design process?
- What is the relationship among design, materials selection, and process selection with respect to part/product function?
- What is the relationship of engineering design to other departments in a manufacturing company including marketing, industrial design, and manufacturing?
- How do manufacturing and assembly methods influence the properties and cost of a finished product?
- These are just some of the questions that are answered in Materials Selection and Design.
- The Design Process
- The role of the materials engineer in the design process. Methods for conceptual and configuration design, and developing a product specification.
- Criteria and Concepts in Design
- Special design considerations include product reliability, life-cycle analysis, optimizing product quality, safety, and liability.
- Design Tools
- Overview of current CAE tools used to provide design analysis guidance at different stages of the design process.
- The Materials Selection Process
- Use of materials-selection aids such as selection charts, performance indexes, decision matrices, and value analysis.
- Effects of Composition, Processing, and Structure on Materials Properties
- Fundamental structure-property relationships in engineering materials including irons and steels, nonferrous alloys, and other materials.
- Properties versus Performance of Materials
- Applications-related design concepts applied to real-world operating conditions. Special design/materials-selection situations covered.
- Manufacturing Aspects of Design
- Influence of manufacturing on properties and cost of engineered designs. Information on modeling, cost estimating, and various manufacturing processes.
- Key Industries
- Aerospace, Automotive, Petrochemical/Chemical Process, Power Generation, Appliance, Business Equipment, and Electronics