Thermo Scientific ARL 3460 was launched in 1982 and since then it has been the most widely used optical emission spectrometer in the world. The delivery of the 5000th unit was celebrated at the beginning of 2005. The ARL 3460 is a multi-channel optical emission spectrometer and has been designed for rapid and precise metals analysis.
The ARL 3460 has been specially designed in order to meet specific customer requirements. The instrument has unmatched repeatability, consistency and stability. The 1-m Paschen-Runge optics fitted into a vacuum stabilized cast iron body is the key component of the system and is responsible for the instrument excellent repeatability, reliability and stability over both the short and long term.
The analysis of Nitrogen (N) and Oxygen (O) was performed conventionally by combustion analyzers and is currently done using optical emission spectrometers. Many of the ARL 3460 systems analyze nitrogen in steel and many analyze oxygen in copper and steel alloys.
ARL 3460 Advantage
The ARL 3460 Advantage was derived from the standard ARL 3460. It has high stability, consistency, repeatability and long lifetime with minimal running and maintenance costs. It has been designed to address the analytical needs of foundries and metal processing industries dealing with cast iron, steel, aluminum, copper, nickel or cobalt products. The ARL 3460 Advantage is factory calibrated for highly accurate and uncompromising analytical performance like all Thermo Scientific optical emission spectrometers.
The benefits of the ARL-3460 are:
- Reduced re-calibration time.
- More available time for productive analysis.
- The cabinet is ergonomically designed.
- The system is well-suited for analysis of materials producing toxic vapours, such as zinc and lead. The special exhaust system of the ARL 3460 ensures maximum safety.
- The system is factory calibrated with CARL, a highly sophisticated multi-variable regression software tool that corrects for spectral interferences and matrix effects ensuring excellent accuracy. CARL offers an instrument ready to analyze customer samples on the very same day of installation.
The application areas of the ARL 3460 include:
- Primary metal producing plants.
- Foundries, forges, mini-mills.
- Casting operations.
- Incoming material control.
- Metals QC and R&D laboratories.