The Thermo Scientific ARL 4460 integrates a number of sophisticated technologies
with the world’s most famous spectrometer optics. It is the market reference with regards to accuracy, performance and speed of analysis. It benefits from the
robustness and quality that established the optical emission spectrometers of the ARL brand. The ARL 4460 also enables ultra-fast inclusion analysis, which increases the capability of the instrument and the quality of metal products.
The ARL 4460 meets all metals analysis requirements, be it for routine analysis or
for metals research. It is compliant with a large number of regulations, as well as with tighter specifications and higher customer expectations for more
elements to analyze, wider
concentration ranges, faster and more accurate analyses.
Advantages of OES
Optical emission spark analysis has a number of advantages, including:
- Versatility: analysis of metals in various shapes and forms.
- Speed: duplicate analysis below 50 seconds.
- Range: from trace (sub-ppm) to alloy concentration levels.
- Accuracy: with certified type standards – accuracy is better than 1% relative.
- Simplicity: easy sample preparation.
- Savings: low capital investment and operating costs.
The salient features of the ARL 4460 are:
- Robust construction ensuring years of optimal instrument operation even in extremely harsh environment.
- Superior stability and consistency.
- Speed and accuracy, even for ultimate trace analysis.
- Ultra-fast inclusion analysis capability.
- Broad range of metals analysis.
- Highly advanced software technology.
- Easy operation.
- Automatic sample manipulation systems (optional).
- Advanced technical/service support.
- Continuous upgrade possibilities to improve performance and productivity.
Applications are available for most of the metals and alloys, including:
- Iron and steel.
- Aluminum and its alloys.
- Copper and its alloys.
- Nickel and its alloys.
- Cobalt and its alloys.
- Zinc and its alloys.
- Magnesium and its alloys.
- Lead and its alloys.
- Tin and its alloys.
- Fine precious metals.
- Small samples of various qualities.
C, N and O Analysis
The CNO option of the ARL 4460 enables excellent analysis of carbon, nitrogen and
oxygen in steels at ultra-low levels. It improves C, N and O detection limits and repeatability below 100 ppm typically.
Ultra-fast Inclusion Analysis
The Spark-DAT option enables analysis of nonmetallic inclusions, for example Al2O3, CaO, Al2O3-CaO and CaS in
steel, or TiB2, MgO and NaCl in aluminum.
The advanced Spark-DAT option allows quantitative size analysis and size distribution in steel. In killed steel, the method also allows the determination of
oxygen concentrations much lower than 30 ppm.
OXSAS Software – So Powerful and So Easy
Thermo Scientific OXSAS analytical software surpasses all other programs existing for OES. It provides high analytical flexibility and capacity. Some of
the salient features of the software are:
- Triple navigation style, menus, tree and icons to fit with everybody's preferences.
- Simple one-click start of routine analysis.
- Quantitative analysis using tasks with analysis parameter template.
- Access to various functional levels through password protected user accounts, allowing for secured operations.
- One click access to recent analyses results, readily available for comparison.
- Easy navigation and comfortable operation in the analysis screen.
- Full traceability.
- Key to Metals metals database.
- Measurement uncertainty with every analysis to facilitate accreditation.
The ARL 4460 includes two techniques that help extending its
capability and performance. The Current Controlled Source (CCS) is a digital spark source that can be programmed for optimal sparking in every application.
The Time Resolved Spectroscopy (TRS) enables the acquisition to be performed such that various noise and interference sources are excluded. By combining these two
techniques, all aspects of analytical performance (accuracy, sensitivity, reproducibility and analysis time) are considerably enhanced.