Available in both floor and table model configurations, these test
systems incorporate advanced computer technology and user-friendly
software providing an extremely efficient, reliable approach to any
materials testing need.
Well-known for their rugged construction and versatile performance,
the “SMART” test systems are designed to accommodate a wide range of
materials and applications meet the most demanding test requirements.
United SFM 'Smart-1' Test System incorporates a number of
To help ensure the integrity of every test, United “SMART” machines
automatically perform a series of self-diagnostics prior to the start
of each test. Analog to Digital converters for load and strain
measurements are calibrated and various PC components are also
subjected to diagnostic tests. The PC system powers down its monitor
and enters sleep mode after a short time of inactivity.
Digital Signal Processor (DSP)
Each United “SMART” test machine incorporates analog-todigital
converters and servo controller that are equipped with digital signal
processors. Operating under computer control, the digital signal
processor provides high-precision data conversion and motion control.
Analog-to-digital conversions are synchronous and capable of performing
at a rate of up to 8192 conversions per second at 20 bits. The motion
control update rate is 3300.
SMART Loadframe Features
- Single or Twin Column loadframe
- Twin ball screw drive with closed-loop servo and motor controls
- Crosshead Guidance System: Uses heavy channel shape steel
columns. Maximum lateral motion ±0.25mm over full crosshead travel
- Anti-backlash system: standard on floor models, optional on table
- Emergency Stop Control: via rocker and mechanical limit switches
- Interchangeable electronic loadcell weighing system is standard
- Electronic self-identifying loadcell & extensometer are
- Automatic overload protection
- Quick-Disconnect loadcell & fixture system
- Controlled release of load in the event of power failure
- Special colors optionally available.
Additional Control Features
- Preload, Test, Stop and Return operations initiated with one
- Preload Force, Test Speed and Return Speed may be preset.
- Jog controls allow fast and accurate cross head setup.
- Automatic Stop or Return following sample break.
- Real-time graphic display of Load (or Stress) vs. Extension.
- Load measurement accuracy: ±0.5% of reading from 1% to 100% of
- Extension from crosshead: Resolution = 0.63micron/jaw separation,
Accuracy = ±83 micron/meter of travel. Optional high-resolution encoder
makes Resolution = 0.063 micron/jaw separation.
- Extension from extensometer: Resolution = 1/262144 of full range,
Accuracy per extensometer specifications.
- Standard system supports one load and one extensometer input
channel. Additional channels are optional. Resolution of 20 bits
binary. DSP filter standard. Conversion rate 4096 Hz (standard) or 8192
- Operator-selectable measurement units: English, Metric, SI, or
- Operator may set any test speed within the capacity of the
machine using keyboard entry.
- Operator can program up to twenty preset speeds.
- Speeds may be selected “on the fly” with instant crosshead
- Limits programmable-position, load or strain.
- Cycle functions programmable-position, load or strain control.
- Area compensation on/off.
- Digital servo control system – optional encoder, digital signal
processor, solid state amplifier. Optional upgrades, customized or
“specific-brand” computer systems can also be provided to meet special
application requirements or customer preference.
Loadframe & Drive System
Specifications Common to All SMART Models
Lateral Motion: ±0.25mm (0.01 in.) maximum over full crosshead travel.
Speed Accuracy: ±0.1% of set speed for all forces within the capacity
of the machine when averaged over the larger of 15 seconds or 50mm (2
Position Resolution: 0.6µm (25 micro inches) standard. 0.06 µm is
optional with highresolution encoder.
Position Accuracy:The greater of 0.025mm (0.001 in.) or 0.025% of
Position Repeatability: ±0.005mm (0.0002 in.).
Drive Resolution: Same as Position Resolution.
Force Measurement System
Accuracy: ± the larger of 0.5% of reading or 0.01% of
Repeatability: ± the larger of 0.25% of reading or 0.005% of
Strain Measurement System
United SMART series testing machines together with the United EZ
self-ID extensometers meet or exceed the following industry standards:
ASTM E83 B1
0% - 100% of range
A 0% - 100%
0.5 0% - 100% of
- 100% of range
System specifications for strain measurements using United SMART series
testing machines with the type EX self-identifying extensometers.
Accuracy: 0.5 µm
Repeatability: 0.25 µm
Discrimination: 0.0004% of range
Resolution: 0.0004% of range
Bias Error: 0.25% of reading
United Testing Systems offers a complete line of Universal Testing
and accessories for tensile and hardness testing.
All United Universal Mechanical Testing Machines have a number of
standard features developed to give the user the most accurate and
- Twin ball screw drive w/solid-state servo and motor controls.
Single ball screw drive for capacities less than 1,000 Lbf.
- Crosshead guidance system ( maximum lateral motion 0.010" over
full crosshead travel).
- Anti-backlash system.
- "Emergency Stop" control via rocker switch, computer or
mechanical limit switches.
- Interchangeable, electronic load cell weighing system.
- USB-connectivity for computerized machines assures data integrity
and supported high data transfer rate.
- Quick-disconnect load cell and fixture system.