Hand held refractometers are used for quick and convenient measurement of concentration in several semi-solid and liquid samples.
Hand held refractometers find applications in the following areas:
- Food applications include measuring sugar in grape must and other fresh fruit, processed food, sugar solutions and beverages. Starch, honey and salt solutions may also be measured.
- Industrial applications include controlling the blend ratios of various industrial liquids. Chemical blends such as glycols, battery acid, heat exchange fluids, automotive antifreeze, aviation wing de-icing chemicals and jet fuel ice inhibitors can be controlled easily while measuring industrial fluids such as coolants, quenchants and hydraulic oils are commonplace.
Bellingham + Stanley offers a broad range of hand held refractometers that include the following:
OPTi digital Range
- These instruments have a very high consistency and can be used in very harsh environments. The OPTi range finds applications not just in beverage, food and chemical industries but also in automotive, life science, heat transfer as well as in customer-specific applications.
Eclipse “Professional” Range
- The Eclipse refractometer is a highly consistent and robust refractometer, featuring a bright field of view, a unique sample “dribble feed” and is sealed against moisture ingress. A selection of scale types are available from within the Eclipse range as also Low Volume Brix Models, which can measure samples less than 1 µl like nectar.
E-Line “Economy” Range
- The low cost models in the E-line range of hand held refractometers are suited for light industrial use within small to medium sized businesses and also by hobbyists handling beverages, fruit, confectionery, jam, honey and other sugar based products. It is suitable to determine the concentration or blend ratios of heat transfer fluids like glycol, antifreeze, cutting fluids and quenchants. The refractive index range is up to 1.81 RI facilitating the measurement of precious and semi-precious gemstones.
- DR-Digital instruments offer a digital measurement solution within two discrete applications that are not yet satisfied by the OPTi series of refractometers.