• Handheld Thermo Scientific Niton XRF analyzers are engineered for portable elemental analysis
  • Proton OnSite - LCMS Gas Generators
  • LeddarTech
Posted in | Business | Photovoltaics

JA Solar to Expand Internal Wafer Capacity with Acquisition of Solar Silicon Valley

Published on July 4, 2011 at 2:28 AM

By Cameron Chai

JA Solar, a manufacturer of solar power products and solar cells, has entered into an agreement with a British Virgin Islands Company, Silver Age, to acquire Solar Silicon Valley Electronic Science and Technology company, a China-based firm specializing in solar wafers and quartz crucibles.

The deal, valued at approximately $180 million, aims to expand JA Solar’s internal wafer capacity from 485 MW to 785 MW.

Solar Silicon Valley’s wafer production facility has a 485 MW annual production capacity. It is situated in the Yanjiao Economic & Technology Development Zone, in the Langfang City of Hebei Province. The Jinglong Group owns 70% of Silver Age and a third party shareholder owns the other 30%. Mr. Baofang Jin, Chairman of JA Solar, controls the Jinglong Group.

JA Solar is to issue 30.901 million ordinary shares at $5.825 per share at the closure of the transaction. This represents volume-weighted average price for 45 days trading of JA Solar's NASDAQ Global Market ADSs. Each JA Solar ADS is equivalent to one ordinary share. The price will be about 5% premium to the final closing price of the ADS before the announcement of the acquisition.

The cost of wafers constitutes a major part of total solar cell manufacturing expenses. The acquisition will augment JA Solar's internal wafer capacity, improve gross margins, reduce costs and ensure a constant supply of wafers.

Source: http://www.jasolar.com/

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this news story?

Leave your feedback
Submit