PAC is a key global manufacturer of enhanced analytical instruments for laboratories and online process applications in industries such as pharmaceutical, automotive, lubricants, food and beverage, environmental, biofuels, upstream, refinery and petrochemical.
PAC has a product portfolio of more than 200 testing instruments and this allows the company to serve its customers with significant research and development resources and cutting-edge technology in order to support its core technologies: laboratory automation, fuels composition, physical properties, elemental analysis and chromatography.
PAC’s corporate strength is built upon its commitment to customer support, powerful technology team and the quality of its product lines.
PAC is an industrial leading company in standards development and works tirelessly to establish standard procedures that analysts and scientists from all over the world rely on every day in order to build a cleaner environment and improved products.
PAC functions as a unit of Roper Technologies, Inc., a diversified technology company and a constituent of Fortune 1000, S&P 500, and Russell 1000 indices.
The world’s long-established and most respected brands of analytical and testing equipment has been combined by PAC into a single manufacturing, service and marketing organization. All brands from PAC have long histories of manufacturing first-class analytical instrumentation for process and lab applications.
PAC offers a wide range of on-line instruments for distillation, viscosity, sulfur/nitrogen, flash point and reid vapor pressure (RVP) analyses by recognized PAC brands Antek, PSPI, ISL, and Cambridge Viscosity. These brands have long histories of offering exceptionally accurate, highly dependable and innovative instrumentation.
The on-line analytical instrumentation from PAC provides highly accurate results with minimal operator interaction because of their high automation level. This results in considerable improvements with production control and process optimization.
PAC, in close collaboration with different standards organizations spread all over the world, launches innovative instruments and applications which adhere to a wide range of standards by ISO, UOP, IP, GPA, DIN, CEN and ASTM. PAC also complies with ISO 9001-2000 standards.
Improve Production Through Real-time Process Optimization and Control
Over the years, PAC has achieved global recognition with its improved laboratory analysis equipment and technologies, which provide accurate and reliable results with high levels of automation. Today, PAC is introducing these established methodologies to the area of process analytics. These technologies are transferable within the plant, even though process and lab are essentially two different worlds.
Primary process applications comprise of nitrogen for catalyst protection and online sulfur. Overall customer benefits when using process instrumentation include:
- Enhanced distillation analysis for blending operations
- Decreased cost of ownership versus lab
- Increased productivity due to less interruption of process, sampling, or production anomalies
- Increased accuracy and speed due to the real-time nature of the analysis rather than lab testing and sampling
With process analytics, the customer can have a greater control over the process as there is less time between sampling; typical lab analysis is only run up to 4 times a day, while, for example, analysis within the process could be completed every 30 minutes. This brings about a major improvement in production control and process optimization.
Economic Impact of Real-Time Accurate Process Control
Measuring viscosity in asphalt operations can:
- Monitor to guarantee on-spec material is produced since the cost of producing off-spec material is about $136,000 per day
Optimizing the cut point products in the distillation unit can:
- Increase incremental profits up to $1M by controlling T90% 1 °C closer to the target and increasing diesel production by 0.5 - 1% additional
Measuring boiling point in the gasoline blender unit can:
- Increase incremental profits $350,000 per month by operating 1 °C closer to the target; instrument provides return on investment in around five weeks
Measuring viscosity in the fuel oil blending unit can:
- Operating 1% closer to the viscosity target minimizes the use of ULSD which can save between $500,000 to $1,000,000 per year
Solutions that Optimize your Process and your Bottom Line
Customers experience a continuous challenge of dealing with a varying market demand and prices for their products while their raw material quality – crude oil – changes as they try to reduce their costs. At the same time, customers must meet a stringent spec for their products with nearly zero sulfur specification or a boiling range that prevents any kind of distraction in the production processes. PAC helps customers meet these challenges by providing a wide range of measurement capabilities in order to ensure that their end-products meet their profitability goals and specifications.
Optimize distillation process by measuring the bottoms of towers to ensure that high-value products do not find their way into the low-value streams
Monitor and control the correct percent evaporated temperature (5% or 95%) for streams in the crude distillation unit
Establish the flash point of diesel out of the distillation tower when kerosene and jet fuel are introduced into the mix
Measure the content of sulfur to ensure sulfur removal is at the correct levels for regulatory compliance
Measure the boiling point in the hydrotreater in order to meet product quality while optimizing feedstock to the plant.
Decrease the impact of nitrogen and sulfur on catalyst performance
Ensure the process is operating at the right production levels for maximum profitability
Measure viscosity more accurately in the blends in order to reduce the number of expensive materials that are used in the product
Ensure the proper level of sulfur to comply with regulations
Employ boiling point measurements to determine compound characteristics for on-spec quality
PSPI Flash Point
Optimize profitability and meet quality requirements through consistent flash point monitoring
Accurate nitrogen and sulfur measurement for regulatory compliance and quality control
Measure the viscosity of the liquid fuel that is fed to the furnaces to attain an optimum combustion
Accurate distillation in less than 10 minutes, helps get closer to perfect operating ranges
Cambridge Viscosity ViscoPro 2100
Achieve reliable, consistent viscosity measurements for accurate control
Precision, reliability, and performance are vital for viscosity measurements in bottom-tower applications. ViscoSure is the only viscosity analyzer custom designed for difficult applications
PAC Sample Conditioning System
Decrease errors and enhance accuracy by extracting a representative sample prior to analysis
Full Range of Analyzers for Real-time Process Optimization and Control
The profitability of the refinery is impacted by the complexity of the operation, and hence process-wide analytical solutions that deliver highly correlated, accurate, real-time data are needed. PAC’s integrated measurement and testing capabilities provide the data needed to balance demand and supply, thus optimizing run rates and keeping the process operating at peak efficiency. PAC’s offers solutions for viscosity, sulfur/nitrogen, distillation boiling point and flash point analyses that enable attaining greater process optimization and control with less time between sampling.
||0.5 – 1000 cP (cSt Available with Densitometer)
||Correlates to ASTM D7483 and ASTM D445
- Established, improved oscillating piston technology reduces downtime
- Tight temperature control without an oil bath reduces maintenance
- Sample conditioning system (SCS) optimizes the performance of the instrument and protects the analyzer from process disruptions
- In-line viscosity measurement at the product specification temperature facilitates control in complex processes and increases productivity
||200 ppb to % levels
||Sulfur: D5453, D6667
Nitrogen: D4629, D5176, DIN 38409, TEIL 27
- Fast cycle time: 1 to 5 minutes per stream, programmable
- Precise, fast measurement of LPG, liquid, and gas samples
- Exceptional linearity and reproducibility
- Sensitivity from 200 ppb to % levels
- Total bound nitrogen, total sulfur, or both
- 1 minute, high speed version available for sulfur analysis in pipeline applications where response time is critical
||Full distillation curve 20-400 ºC (68-752 ºF)
||Direct correlation to:
- ASTM D86
- ASTM D7345
- IP 123
- Multi-stream capability
- Full distillation curve in less than 10 minutes
- Accuracy: equal or better than ASTM D86, D7345
- Exceptional performance: Repeatability +/- 1.5 ºC
- Auto-regeneration of the cell minimizes maintenance; flask removal not needed
PSPI Flash Point
||10º to 121 ºC (50º to 250 ºF)
ASTM D56, ASTM D93, DIN EN ISO 2719, IP 34,DIN 51755,DIN EN ISO 13736, IP 170
- Variety of signal outputs available
- Performance not affected by sulfur presence
- Analyzer software configuration can be customized without opening the explosion-proof enclosure
- Handles samples with viscosities up to 220 cSt (1000 SSU) at 38 ºC (100 ºF)
Cambridge Viscosity VISCOPRO 2100
||0.25-10,000 cP (0.25-5 cP, 0.5-10 cP, 1-20 cP, 2.5-50 cP, 5-100 cP, 10-200 cP, 25-500 cP, 50-1,000 cP, 100-2,000 cP, 250-5,000 cP, 500-10,000 cP)
||± 1.5% of reading in CV1 software package
± 0.5% of reading in CV2 software package
± 1.5% of reading in CV3 software package
Accuracy ± 1% Full Scale*
Correlates to ASTM D7483 & D445
*± of 5% of full scale 500-10,000 range
- Easy to install viscometer for almost any petrochemical, refinery, or coatings application
- The proven oscillating piston method delivers unmatched benefits:
- Insensitivity to the outside environment
- Small sample size reduces waste and allows easy installation
- Highly robust, capable of handling heavy samples
- Extremely durable due to no mechanical linkages
- Long-term calibration
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by PAC L.P.
For more information on this source, please visit PAC L.P.