Shutterstock | Tamara Kulikova
The Renishaw inVia confocal Raman microscope is the most suitable system for the comprehensive 2D and 3D chemical analysis of colloids and emulsions.
Emulsions are liquid-in-liquid colloids used across a range of diverse industries including food (for example: yoghurts), cosmetics (for example: skin creams), and chemicals. The study of emulsions is crucial to provide data on interactions, network connections, separation and the role of emulsiﬁers. These are factors that guarantee that the emulsion is stable and well-matched to its speciﬁc role.
The inVia microscope offers unbelievable chemical sensitivity and speciﬁcity, producing comprehensive confocal chemical images in 2 and 3 dimensions.
High Resolution Confocal Emulsion Analysis
- Reveal the location of water, oils and emulsiﬁers
- Investigate instabilities such as ﬂocculation and coalescence
- Define domain size information at sub-micrometer spatial resolution
- Investigate emulsions in 3D to reveal droplet sizes and depth separation
- Use various conﬁgurable dry and immersion objectives to enhance confocal performance for a variety of emulsions
Investigate Emulsiﬁed Products
- Applicable to dairy products such as yogurts
- Understand and enhance the quality of products
- Reveal the distribution of components such as carotenoids, proteins, glucose and lipids
- Investigate protein-lipid networks and lipid packing order
- Guide the development of formulations and help enhance manufacturing processes
Figure 1. Moisturizing hand cream emulsion showing distribution, domain size (ranging from 0.5 µm to 4.0 µm) and emulsiﬁer;
- Poly(dimethylsiloxane) – silicone oil serving as an anti-foaming agent and skin protectant by creating a hydrating barrier (red)
- Glyceryl stearate – emulsiﬁer (white) coating skin conditioner
- Alkyl benzoate – skin conditioner (green)
- Aqueous dispersion medium (black)
Moisturizing body cream emulsion revealing 3D distribution and particle size of dispersed oil phase.
Lipid packing order in yoghurt emulsion (from high to low) red, green and blue.
Renishaw inVia: Ideal for Studying Emulsions
- Research-grade confocal Raman microscope
- Conﬁgurable for various microscope objectives, including high NA and refractive index matching options
- Sub-micrometer resolution using StreamHR™ confocal mapping
- Fast, easy and targeted chemical image generation
- 2D image and 3D volume options
The Renishaw inVia confocal Raman microscope.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Renishaw plc.
For more information on this source, please visit Renishaw plc.