The PipeWIZARD is an automated girth weld inspection system which is suitable for in-site weld-to-weld inspection in extreme environments. It uses conventional UT and phased array techniques. Electronic beamforming is used by phased arrays for producing and receiving ultrasound. The phased array systems are suitable for offshore and onshore pipeline construction projects.
The PipeWIZARD system has resistance to electromagnetic interference, vibration and shock. Based on the pipe diameter, weld type, environment and location, the time of inspection cycle varies from 2 to 6 min. Defects detected by the PipeWIZARD system are incomplete penetration, burn through, porosity, lack of fusion, undercut, cold lap, hi-low, crack, hi-low, crack, inclusion, etc.
The key features of the PipeWIZARD are:
- The PipeWIZARD system uses the zone discrimination technique
- Transverse indications in the weld can be identified using an optional transverse module having four dedicated conventional transducers
- PipeWIZARD V4 software present in the PipeWIZARD system is flexible, simple, and scalable. It is used for automatic setup creation, advanced weld inspection, rapidly analyzing various data, and automatic report generation
- External hard drive is used for storing data files. Internet to other parties are usually used for transferring the data files
- PipeWIZARD VIEWER is used for loading the data files which are produced by the PipeWIZARD V4 software. It runs on Microsoft Windows XP Pro with SP2, Microsoft Windows 7, and Microsoft Windows Vista
The applications of the PipeWIZARD are:
- Seamless pipe
- Cladded pipe
- Thick pipe