The Archimedes is a novel, high-performance system that harnesses the resonant mass measurement technique so as to sense and count particles in the size range 50nm-5µm and to measure particle mass and size. Archimedes is distinctly positioned to quantitatively measure protein aggregates within and beyond the range of 100nm-1µm, highlighted as a specific concern for immunogenicity and product safety.
The Archimedes is equipped with an MEMS technology sensor, enabling the highly sensitive, reliable and reproducible measurement of aggregates, one by one. Archimedes can also offer information on sample concentration, viscosity, polydispersity, density and volume, and distinguish between negatively buoyant proteinaceous particles and positively buoyant contaminating silicone oil droplets. The parameters measured include particle size, particle number, dry mass, buoyant mass, particle surface area and particle density.
The key benefits of Archimedes are:
- Ideally positioned for biopharmaceutical manufacturers and developers.
- Low sample consumption: only 100µL
- Differentiation between negatively buoyant and positively buoyant particles.
- Capable of measuring high concentration samples (to 109 particles/mL) and high viscosity samples (to 100cP).
- Fast, NIST-traceable calibration.
- Highly reproducible results.
- Intuitive and flexible ParticleLab software
- Unique and precise particle counting capability in the size range 50nm–5µm.
- Exquisite sensitivity: measurement of particle mass to 350 ag.
- Highly accurate particle size measurement from 50nm to 5µm.
- Excellent size resolution, <20nm at 1µm diameter.