Malvern Panalytical has designed a research grade dynamic light scattering system called Zetasizer Nano S. The system is versatile, easy to use and delivers high performance. It is suitable for those applications where the widest size range and highest sensitivity is required. It has the same size as the Zetasizer Nano ZS.
The Zetasizer Nano S functions both as a particle size analyzer and molecular weight analyzer and hence can be used for measuring dilute or high concentration samples, detecting aggregates as well as for measuring molecular size and molecular weight.
The main features of the Zetasizer Nano S are:
- Molecular weight measurement down to 980 Da.
- Size measurement from 0.3 nm (diameter) to 10 µm using Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS) technology
- Second virial coefficient measurement for solubility
- Sample concentrations from 0.1 ppm to 40% w/v
- Automated temperature trend measurements
- Optical filter option to enhance measurements with fluorescent sample
- Autotitrator option allows automation of measurements
- 21CFR part 11 software option allows compliance with ER/ES
- Temperature range extension option to 120ºC
- Flow mode capability to enable use as a GPC/SEC detector
- Alternative laser, 50 mW at 532 nm for samples incompatible with the usual 633 nm laser fitted
- Systems can be upgraded to include zeta potential
- Protein size measurement as dilute as 0.1 mg/mL (Lysozyme)
- Expert advice report helps improve sample preparation or measurement process
- Research software option offers access to additional features and analysis algorithms for the light scattering specialist
Iota considered a range of 12 twelve dynamic light scattering systems available on the market at the time. In each case the same Iota formulation was examined. Malvern Panalytical’s was the only DLS system that gave accurate and reproducible results, confirmed by FFF analysis, and provided the greatest resolution for multimodal systems. Additionally, it has a fast speed of measurement, can output data in a number of ways and is applicable to a wide range of sample concentrations. The instrument benefits from excellent software, with free upgrades provided regularly and on an indefinite basis. Malvern Panalytical provide an outstanding after sales and technical service, including online seminars which are very useful. The Zetasizer Nano is an essential piece of equipment which enables Iota to rapidly optimize its formulations to meet customer requirements.
Dr James Long, Research Scientist, Iota NanoSolutions Limited