Hockmeyer offers multi-shaft mixers that include a low-speed Helical or Anchor Sweep blade and an additional high-speed shaft. The low-speed blade feeds the high-speed blade by folding and blending the mass in the vessel and enhances product uniformity by scraping the walls. The high-speed blade provides high shear to dissolve or disperse ingredients. Multi-shaft mixers are often utilized to mix medium to high viscosity products.
A high-speed disperser has a restricted zone of influence in viscous products, and hence the low-speed blade is important to obtain a uniform mixture. When fitted with scrapers, the low-speed blade helps in transferring heat to an external jacket.
Multi-shaft mixers are available in three models: dual shaft, triple shaft, and concentric shaft.
The main features of the multi-shaft mixers are:
- Hoist or tank mounted configuration
- Vacuum, pressure, or atmospheric operation
- Inverter driven motors
- Carbon steel or stainless steel material of construction
- Mill to highly polished finishes
- Helical or anchor sweep low-speed blade
- Electrical components for safe or hazardous environments
- Built-up inverter
- Various high-speed blades available
- Sizes from laboratory units to 3500 gallons.
The applications of the multi-shaft mixers are:
- Printing inks
- Caulks and sealants
- Hot melt adhesives
- Creams and lotions
- Magnetic media slurry.