The X'Pert³ materials research diffractometers (MRD) and MRD (XL) are a new generation of versatile materials research diffraction systems.
The instruments offer improved performance and reliability, which provide increased analytical capability and, power for X-ray scattering studies in areas including:
- advanced materials science
- metrological characterization in semiconductor process development
- scientific and industrial thin film technology
Both of the systems handle the same wide range of applications with full wafer mapping up to 100mm for the X’Pert³ MRD or 200mm for the X’Pert³ MRD XL.
The main features for each of the X'Pert³ MRD and MRD (XL) versions are listed below:
- X’Pert³ MRD is the standard research and development version that can be used with solid materials, thin film samples, and wafers with full mapping up to 100mm. High-resolution analysis is possible with the excellent precision of a new high-resolution goniometer using Heidenhain encoders.
- X'Pert³ MRD XL meets the high-resolution XRD analysis needs of thin films, semiconductors, and advanced materials industries. Complete wafer mapping up to 200mm is achievable. It is provided with prolonged lifetime of incident beam components and the maximum uptime with beam attenuators and pneumatic shutters. Enabling testing of wafers of up to 300mm in diameter using an advanced automatic wafer loader option, thus making this instrument a highly advanced tool for quality control of industrial thin layered structures.
- X'Pert³ Extended MRD (XL) provides increased versatility. With the additional PreFIX mounting platform, mounting of an X-ray mirror and a high-resolution monochromator in-line is possible, increasing significantly the intensity of the incident beam. One can benefit from increased application versatility without compromise on data quality, high-resolution X-ray diffraction with high intensities, and shorter measurement times for measurements such as reciprocal space mapping and rebuild from standard to extended design in minutes due to the PreFIX concept. The 2nd generation PreFIX allows easy reconfiguration, and optics positioning is highly precise than before.
- X'Pert³ MRD (XL) In-plane for in-plane diffraction, enabling measuring diffraction from lattice planes that are perpendicular to the sample surface. The main advantages are basic and in-plane geometries on a single system and a broad range of diffraction experiments on polycrystalline and highly perfect thin films.
The X'Pert³ MRD systems can all handle the same range of applications and can be used for thin film analysis applications such as reciprocal space mapping and rocking curve analysis, reflectometry, thin film phase analysis, rocking curve analysis, and residual stress and texture analysis.