The TEAM™ Analysis System with the added wavelength dispersive spectrometry (WDS) helps to streamline three microanalysis procedures, namely, electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD), energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS), and WDS - into a single interface thereby allowing maximum materials insight in a quick and easy manner.
The TEAM™ WDS Analysis System combines TEAM™ software with a parallel beam WDS spectrometer. In order to complement EDS analysis for light element work, and to spot elemental overlaps that might cause serious problems, the microanalyst has to use a wavelength dispersive X-ray spectrometer (WDS).
The better resolution and higher sensitivity of WDS deconvolutes peak overlaps and correctly exposes trace elements, thereby providing the user with a comprehensible image of sample chemistry. It is possible to perform both qualitative and quantitative analyses.
The spectrometer hardware includes not just the TEAM™ WDS with two parallel-beam spectrometer, but also the LEXS (Low Energy X-ray spectrometer) and the TEXS HP (Transition Element X-ray spectrometer High Precision).
The LEXS is incorporated with high collection optics to create a parallel X-ray beam and is optimized to provide excellent light element performance with an energy range from 100eV to 2400eV (B Kα to S Kα). The TEXS HP is equipped with a capillary optic to create a parallel X-ray beam and is optimized to cover low energy and transition element energies from 150eV to 10keV (B Kα to Cu Kα).
Both the LEXS and TEXS come standard with five diffracting crystals to solve specific application needs of customers.
The main features of WDS Analysis System are as follows:
- Mechanical design allows easy mounting on many EDS ports on a scanning electron microscope (SEM), thus allowing users more freedom in system configuration
- TEAM™ WDS introduces Smart Focus, a fully automated focusing routine that provides complete microscope optimization for WDS analysis
- Smart Focus optimizes the stage position based on the WDS optic to ensure highest intensity for each element.
- Smart Focus provides better speed and ease of use to WDS analysis by ensuring that the highest quality data is collected on the first iteration
- Smart Focus enables users to easily select an element or energy range and is able to proceed to solve an EDS peak overlap in three clicks of the mouse.
The following are the applications of TEAM™ WDS:
- Low voltage microanalysis
- Trace analysis
- Peak overlaps