The ASD-Cx ultra precision air bearing tool spindles are built specifically for the ultra-precision machining market to manufacture high precision optical parts possessing a surface finish of Ra < 10 nm.
Levicron’s design goal is to achieve outstanding precision and dynamic behaviour than any other spindle available in the market.
The ASD-Cx ultra precision air bearing tool spindles are based on Levicron’s patented static air bearing technology, which allows only very small errors in motion and enables a higher load capacity, reliability and stiffness at the same time.
Coupled with the installed iron-less permanent magnet motor, this spindle design offers a high level precision, robustness and ultra-low dynamics.
The modified, in-house developed and manufactured automatic tool changing (ATC) system assures a tool change within 0.5 µm tool run-out and in a few seconds, whereas in other spindles a number of hours are required to alter and set a tool. Balancing after a tool modification is also not needed in the case of basic milling and grinding tools.
The ASD-C is also provided with a high-resolution rotary encoder for motor commutations and shaft angular positioning within 0.01° and 100.000 rpm. If a smoother operation at higher speeds is required, a sensorless option with either a 200 V max or 400 V max motor is available.
The ASD-Cx ultra precision air bearing tool spindles are offered in three versions:
- ASD060Cx – 60,000 rpm, quick tool change collet system (3 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm, 1/8" or 1/4")
- ASD080Cx – 80,000 rpm, quick tool change collet system (3 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm, 1/8" or 1/4")
- ASD100Cx – 100,000 rpm, quick tool change collet system (3 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm, 1/8" or 1/4")
CNC Machining Kit
For CNC machine tools, drive units are mostly combined with the machine control and so the motor and encoder features will have to be modified, programmed and tested separately. A custom spindle flange is mostly required due to the complex and frequently closed Z-stock designs.
Levicron has designed several spindle integration kits with tailored flange designs and encoder adjustments to suit all major machine control types, thereby ensuring a secure and fast integration of Levicron’s spindles with the user’s machine.
The features of the CNC machining kit include:
- Tooling spindle ASD-H25/K or ASD-Cx/K can be chosen to meet individual application and machine needs
- Spindle flange is made from steel, as shrink-fit or clamping design
- Customized spindle housing design is available for higher quantities
- Motor filter
- Wiring and pipework are complete and tested
- Commissioning - Mechanical connection; pipework; wiring; motor parameters, encoder and reference pulse adjustment and testing
Typical Applications and Recommendations
The basic applications and recommendations for the ASD-Cx ultra precision air bearing tool spindles include:
- Micro-machining and HSC-milling with tools of a diameter <2 mm for hardened steel and <4 mm for aluminum
- Applications/operations with more than 50% at >60 krpm
- Coordinate and form grinding of work piece made from hardened steel, ceramics, carbide metal and other brittle materials with tools of a diameter <10 mm and speeds >60 krpm
Based on high demand, Levicron has designed a ready-to-use and retro-fit kit for ultra-precision machining centers which enables users to improve their machine tool or substitute existing spindles with Levicron ultra-precision spindles.
Re-programming is not required as the existing control lines of the machine control can be used. As an alternative, a stand-alone kit can be used on several machines in conjunction with a handheld device or a PC/laptop.
The features of the retro-fit kit include:
- Spindle mount or shrink-fit flange
- Precision chiller with +/- 0.1 °C temperature stability
- High-end and fully programmed spindle drive
- Safety package (pressure switches, e-stop function, machine safety integration)
- Machine integration as stand-alone or fully integrated spindle solution
ASD-Cx Ultra Precision Air Bearing Tool Spindles from Levicron
ASD080H25A - Air bearing tooling spindle with HSK25 industrial tooling
Ultra-Precision Machining Kit