The Tinius Olsen high temperature furnace offers a means of carrying out tensile tests within a temperature range of ambient to 1200 °C (2200 °F).
The furnace is supported on a frame post placed behind the columns of the testing machine. When not in use, the furnace can be pushed aside and clear of the operating area.
This high temperature furnace has a superior quality rigid stainless steel outer case along with a polished finish. Rigidity is considered to be most important in order to prevent the insulation cracking in service and to allow the direct mounting of high temperature extensometers on the furnace case.
Furthermore, the furnace is available with water-cooled mounting adaptors to prevent the transfer of heat to the loadcell, which could adversely affect the calibration and operation of the loadcell measurements.
The control system is based on a Eurotherm 2408 digital temperature controller, offering four-segment programmability, all connecting cables and a single type ‘K’ thermocouple. All this is housed in a standard 19 in desktop console. The three-zone furnace is available with the additional heating tiles and control capability in order to allow much enhanced thermal uniformity over the specimen gage length.
- Type of furnace: Vertical three-zone split tube furnace
- Temperature sensors: Type ‘N’ thermocouples
- Power supply: 220-240 V
- Energy rating: 2.5 kW (nominal)
- Heated length: 300 mm over three zones
- Heating elements: Spiral wire coils embedded in vacuum formed ceramic fiber half cylinders
- Safety switch: A safety switch cuts power to the elements when the furnace is opened
- Overall external dimensions: 480 mm high x 255 mm diameter
- Temperature control: Each zone is controlled by a Tinius Olsen advanced set point programming temperature controller with 20 free-format segments. Scrolling text offers extra information about the user’s current status. RS232 digital communications facility is included.
- Temperature uniformity: +/-5 °C or better over a length of 200 mm at temperatures above 650 °C. Figures based on measurements taken with an empty heating chamber and all holes insulated.
- Furnace bore: The furnace end insulation disks are bored out to 30 mm diameter. The heating chamber is available with an internal diameter of approximately 90 mm.