The C390 Water Vapor Transmission Rate Test System from Labthink is considered to be one high-efficiency, professional and intelligent water vapor transmission rate testing instrument, which is based on infrared sensor method. It can be used for testing the water vapor transmission rate of sheeting, films, paper, container made of different packaging materials and various other similar materials.
Table 1: Test Parameters Note1
|Parameter \ Model
||g/(m2·d) (50 cm2)
||0.1 ~ 40
||0.05 ~ 40
|g/(m2·d) (7.07 cm2)
||0.7 ~ 280
||0.35 ~ 280
||0.0005 ~ 0.2
||0.00025 ~ 0.2
||Bigger one of 0.1 and 5%
||Bigger one of 0.05 and 3%
||15 ~ 55
||15 ~ 55
||5% ~ 90%, 100%
||5% ~ 90%, 100%
||Package Test (3L Max.)
Table 2: Technical Specifications
||3 test chambers with independent pipe system, which supports tests with different test parameters and provides independent test data
||108 mm X 108 mm
|Standard Test Area
||99.999% High-purity Nitrogen (outside of supply scope)
|Carrier Gas Pressure
||≥0.28 MPa / 40.6 psi
||1/8 inch metal tubing
Principle and Standards
The test specimen is mounted in the diffusion cell, which is then divided into a controlled-humidity chamber and a dry chamber. The dry side of the specimen is swept by a flow of dry nitrogen, and the water vapor permeating through the specimen from the controlled-humidity chamber is then carried by dry nitrogen to the infrared sensor where proportion electrical signals will be produced. The water vapor transmission rate is attained by examining and calculating the electrical signals. For package specimen, the dry nitrogen flow within the specimen while the outside of specimen is in high humidity environment.
This test instrument complies with the following standards:
ASTM F1249, GB/T 26253-2010, ISO 15106-2, TAPPI T557, YBB 00092003-2015, JIS K7129
Including plastic composite films, paper-plastic composite films, plastic films, geomembranes, co-extruded films, aluminum foil, aluminum composite films, glass fiber paper composite films, aluminized films and several other film materials
Including PVC, PVDC, metal foil, PP, film and silicon wafers
- Paper and Paper Board
Including paper and paper board, for example, paper plastic composite film and tobacco packaging paper
Rubber, paper, paper-plastic composite, plastic, glass and metal packages, example, Coke bottles, Tetra Pak materials, vacuum bags, metal three-piece cans, peanut oil packages, plastic packages for cosmetic, soft tubes for toothpaste, yogurt and jelly cups
- Package Caps
Test seal performance of different package caps against water vapor
- Solar Back-sheets
Including solar back-sheets and related packaging material
- LCD Monitor and Films
Including LCD monitor and films employed for LCD monitor
Including various pipes, for example, PPR pipes
- Blister Pack
Test water vapor permeability of blister pack
- Aseptic Wound Protection Films and Face Masks
Including face masks, aseptic wound protecting films, and protective clothing materials
- Battery Plastic Shell
Test the water vapor permeability of battery plastic cell
This instrument, based on infrared sensor technique, is available with advanced technology and components, thus enabling testing of the water vapor transmission rate with high resolution and sensitivity. With innovative design of structure, the instrument is capable of facilitating with more test modes and functions, which can meet the testing requirements for materials with low, medium and high barrier properties.
- The instrument is available with an extensive range and high precision humidity control device, which can ensure more stable and accurate test humidityNote2 in testing process
- Comprehensive and complete test parameter settings allow for professional testing procedures
- The instrument’s core optic parts are patent technology of this instrument. The resolution of the sensor is capable of reaching ppb level
- High performance signal processing unit is capable of detecting the signal for the concentration of water vapor quickly and accurately
Based on infrared sensor technique, the instrument accepts Labthink’s second generation patent design of three diffusion cells combined in one instrument, which advances the test resolution, performance and repeatability in temperature and humidity control.
- Labthink's exclusive design of three diffusion cells combined in one instrument guarantees that all tests are carried out in the same test conditions
- Tests can be carried out in three test cells with three different or same specimens independently which provides test efficiency and flexibility
- Standard, continuous and proportional test modes enable the common users with different simplified test methods
- Reference films (optional) are available for system calibration, which ensures the universality and accuracy of test data
The instrument is embedded with Labthink’s most recent operating software, which is available with user-friendly interface, strict user management, intelligent data processing and secure data storage. It is also capable of supporting Labthink exclusive DataShieldTM Note4 (Optional) which provides the users with reliable and safe management of test reports and test data.
- Test data can be displayed in different forms including data list and curves
- Test data will be saved and encrypted in an exclusive manner so that all the test information will be saved reliably and securely and protected from being tampered
- Different forms of test data can be searched, exported and then printed out
Note 1: The parameters in the table are measured by a professional operator in Labthink laboratory according to relative necessities for laboratory standard conditions.
Note 2: The described product features, configurations and test standards should be in line with Table 1: Test Parameters.
Note 3: DataShieldTM provides reliable and safe data application support. Multiple Labthink instruments are capable of sharing one single DataShieldTM system which can be purchasedwhen needed.