Advantages and Features
The FasTRAK Plasma System from Nordson March offers the following benefits due to its advanced features, such as:
- Flexible assembly allows multiple strip dimensions to be handled along with variable magazine designs
- Sophisticated robotic handling allows strip handling to be cut down to a minimum, along with pushing or pulling, and decreases the level of required intervention by an operator
- Novel tracking of materials by a camera-based technique allows plasma treatment to be validated one hundred percent
- The plasma chamber is designed for high efficiency, and for specific plasma processing of strips, in either direct or ion-free plasma treatment modes
- The low resource utilization and instrument volume, with the reuse of the magazine, keeps its space occupation low and reduces the cost of ownership
Strip Handling with Dependability
The FasTRAK platform is completely automated for a fast plasma treatment system of lead-frame strips or substrates in laminate form, or other electronic parts in strip form. With a size of only 1.65 m by 1.5 m (width by depth), it is smaller than the older versions of strip processors by about 35 percent. It offers reusable magazines, which further optimizes resource utilization, since empty magazines do not require staging with this system.
Current robotic technology avoids almost all operator intervention at either strip handling or magazine design stages, but allows a wide range of sizes of strips, as well as magazines, to be processed.
This flexibility allows quick and convenient shifting from one magazine or strip size to another, using programmed recipes, so that hardware changes or tooling are avoided.
The robotic system has been tested and proven on the field, and has the further advantage of preventing the handling of sensitive substrate materials which could deteriorate with such movements, including shifting, pushing or pulling, and G-forces.
The FasTRAK system also uses novel software to track materials along with an internal camera which counts the number of strips introduced and tracks their path through the whole of the plasma treatment, which ensures the treatment is a hundred percent validated. Each batch can have up to ten strips which is a record in the industry with respect to the treatment rate in units per hour (UPH).
It also uses a newly designed plasma chamber optimized for this particular application which can be set up for either Direct or Ion-free models of plasma treatment.
Plasma Treatment Processes
- Pre-die attach, where adhesion is enhanced
- Pre-wire bond where the pull strength and CpKs is increased
- Pre-mold for lower delamination
- Post-mold to remove flash
- Pre-underfill to reduce the incidence of voids