Desiccants can be defined as hygroscopic (moisture-adsorbent) substances that are packaged and used to protect a wide range of products from degradation caused by moisture, thereby helping to maintain shelf life and product quality. Two of the most extensively used and well-known desiccants are silica gel and bentonite clay, which are used to protect products ranging from metal components, textiles, electronics, leather goods, and foods to nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices.
Packaging engineers responsible for guaranteeing the quality and shelf life of packaged products face a variety of considerations when it comes to sourcing the desiccant that is accurate for their applications.
The benefits of the Desi Pak® bentonite clay desiccant:
- Bentonite desiccants efficiently adsorb moisture in product packaging to preserve and help prevent moisture’s damaging effects such as mold, corrosion, and degradation
- Clariant has a universal network of mines, efficient logistics, secure supply, and unmatched packaging application services around the world
- Production of bentonite desiccants has minimal impact on the environment: harsh chemicals are not used in production, and no re-cultivation and re-naturalizing of mined sites.
- Used for a range of industries such as food, electronics, pharmaceutical, logistics, semiconductor, machinery, industrial, military, and automobile
- Clariant provides bentonite desiccants that match all applicable MIL-Spec requirements for military and defense applications; as well as adhere with JEDEC for semiconductor packaging; Single bags as standard in compliance with DIN/AFNOR/MIL
- Available in various configurations: single packets, bags, and continuous strips for automatic insertion