The expression compact mass spectrometer (CMS) is the standard for mass analysis in chemistry laboratories across the world. It comes with a teaching package, providing professors the ability to impart students with industry-related experience and knowledge in mass spectrometry.
As a research-grade mass spectrometer, the expression CMS is also suitable for students thanks to its one-click software, ease of use, and compact size. When class is not in session, the system can be used for research projects, making this a truly versatile solution for university laboratories looking for advanced equipment coupled with streamlined teaching modules.
To bring mass spectrometry into classrooms, Advion provides:
- A user-friendly and compact benchtop mass spectrometer for both researchers and students
- Lecture slides to adapt or share to your own teaching style
- Five hours of recorded lectures that go beyond the essentials of mass spectrometry and include numerous sampling methods, demonstrating students real world examples applied in the chemistry workplace
Comprehensive Lecture Materials
The teaching package contains ready-to-teach curriculum, rendering it the perfect solution for undergraduate and teaching chemistry programs. Lectures include:
- Introduction to mass spectrometry: A lecture course on ion source, ion detection, mass spectrometer instrumentation, and generation/interpretation of mass spectra
- Direct probe sample introduction: Explaining the atmospheric solids analysis probe (ASAP) including positive and negative ion switching, workflow, the impacts of gas flow and temperature, and example applications
- Flow injection analysis: Direct injection, including ESI and APCI hints, sample concentrations and guidelines, solvent considerations, and examples
- LC/MS techniques: An introduction to liquid chromatography, column choices, and HPLC system components as well as mobile phase flow rates and composition, LC/MS, and solvent details
- Plate Express TLC plate reader: An introduction to direct mass analysis of TLC plates including normal phase and reversed-phase TLC plates, system operation, buffers and solvents, and application data
- Other compact mass spec techniques: Flash, SFC, prep-liquid, flow, and more
Easy, Student-Friendly Software: CheMS
In addition, Advion provides a user-friendly CheMS software that is suitable for teaching applications. The interface streamlines the mass spectrometry experience, enabling users to rapidly choose the type and workflow of compounds they wish to study with just a few clicks of the mouse. The advanced software automatically improves the ion source and data acquisition parameters to guarantee clean, easy-to-read peaks without requiring the users to be an expert in mass spectrometry.