The Wallace Rapid Plastimeter is designed to measure the viscosity or plasticity of unvulcanized rubbers using a standard, clean, and rapid testing method. The instrument is used along with the Wallace MRPRA Aging Chamber (O14) to establish the Plasticity Retention Index (PRI) of raw natural rubbers.
- Supplied in five different models including the variable temperature P14/VT
- Precise and repeatable measurements
- Equipped with its own specimen cutter
- The platens can be easily interchanged
- Provided with extra top platens with a diameter of 7.3 and 14 mm for use with samples outside the regular plasticity range
The P14 Rapid Plastimeter offers powered zero calibration, thereby avoiding the need for laborious manual configuration. Aluminum castings are used all over the design for stability and rigidity.
The variable temperature model (P14/VT) defines the flow behavior of synthetic rubber compounds as, in contrast to other models, its platen temperatures can be varied between 50 °C and 180 °C. In the case of certain applications, the P14/VT provides a fast, economical alternative to a Mooney Viscosity test.
A modified parallel plate compression principle is employed in combination with automatically scheduled “conditioning” and “load” periods. A sample is compressed between two circular platens kept at a temperature of 100 °C. The sample is conditioned at a thickness of 1 mm for 15 seconds. Then, a compressive force of 100 N is applied for 15 seconds. The test piece’s end thickness is expressed as a Rapid Plasticity Unit. One Wallace Plasticity Unit is equivalent to 0.01 mm.
The integrated specimen cutter is used to prepare the sample, which is then sealed off between two pieces of tissue paper, as stipulated by the international regulations, before being positioned between the heated platens. The tissue paper stops the material from sliding between platens or sticking to them. The operating handle has to be rotated in order for the automatic test sequence to begin. The reduction in the sample’s thickness is shown digitally and freezes on the display to exhibit the plasticity number once the 30-second test concludes.
Five Models are Available
Rapid Plastimeter — Basic Model, P14/1
- Integrated diagnostics
- 100% automatic operation
- Precise and repeatable results
- LED platen temperature indicator
Rapid Plastimeter — Printer Model, P14/2
- Same specification as P14/1 along with:
- Compact printer with high-speed print capability
- Traceability of aborted tests
- Date and time recorder
- 24-character column print output
Rapid Plastimeter — Basic Model, P14/PC
- Same specification as P14/1 along with:
- PC interface (RS 232) for data capture to PC
- Optional: Excel add-in software tool
Rapid Plastimeter — Data Terminal and Printer Model, P14/3
- Same specification as P14/2 along with:
- A data input terminal comprising of 16-character two-line display and QWERTY keypad
- Variable load durations
- Uninterrupted platen temperature display
- Sample and operator identification with automatically increasing suffix
- PRI evaluation
- Calibration and service reminder
Rapid Plastimeter — Printer Model, P14/VT
- Same specification as P14/3 plus:
- Variable platen temperature control from 50 °C to 180 °C
Standard: Specimen cutters, 7.3 mm and 14 mm anvils, 1 mm slip gauge, and tool and spares set.
|Wallace Rapid P14 Plastimeter
||420 mm (h) x 300 mm (w) x 360 mm (d)
|Upper platen size
||10 mm diameter standard, 7.3 mm and 14 mm diameter accessories
|Lower Platen Size
|Platen temperature P14/1,2,3,PC
|100 ºC ± 0.5 °C
50 ºC to 180 ºC ± 0.5 °C
||15 seconds conditioning + 15 seconds load
||BS ISO 2007, BS ISO 2930, ASTM D3194
|Printer ( P14/2 and P14/3 Model)
||500 g + PSU 200 g
||95 mm (h) x 125 mm (w) x 195 mm( d)
|Data Input Terminal (P14/3 Model)
||40 mm (h) x 225 mm (w) x 165 mm (d)
|Specimen Cutter ( All Models)
||260 mm (h) x 80 mm (w) x 335 mm (d)
Plasticity Retention Index (PRI)
PRI can be defined as a measure of the resistance of raw natural rubber to oxidation. The oxidation effect is evaluated by measuring the plasticity pre-aging (P0) and post-aging for 30 minutes (P30) in the Wallace–MRPRA aging oven at a temperature of 140 °C.