Columbia Metals Ltd is a leading stockist of DEF STAN 02-834, or NES834 - an aluminum bronze with 2% silicon to improve corrosion resistance, strength, and impact strength compared with other grades of aluminum bronze. The addition of silicon enhances the machinability rating.
The latest Defence Standard for this material is DEF STAN 02-879 Annex D—a specification approved for its regulated low magnetic permeability level of <1.005. The material retains its impact strength even at cryogenic temperatures.
Related Specifications of DEF STAN 02-834
- CuAl6Si2Fe (EU)
- DEF STAN 02-879 Annex D
- NES 834
Nominal Composition of DEF STAN 02-834
Cu rem, Al 6.0%, Fe 0.6%, Si 2.2%
Mechanical Properties of DEF STAN 02-834
Source: Columbia Metals Ltd
|Ultimate Tensile Strength (N/mm²)
||Proof Stress (N/mm²)
Key Features of DEF STAN 02-834
- High toughness and strength
- High impact strength
- Outstanding corrosion resistance
- Lower magnetic permeability
- Good machinability
- Outstanding wear resistance
- Exellent cryogenic properties
Applications of DEF STAN 02-834
- Offshore and marine—High-strength, non-magnetic fasteners, and components
- Other—valve components, safety tooling, fasteners, marine hardware, non-magnetic parts, instrumentation components, bearings and bushes, and gears.