Rotary evaporators, also known as rotovaps, have been a standard for several years in industries and laboratories that perform chemistry, for example, laboratories in the chemical, materials, pharmaceutical, life science, cannabis and environmental sectors.
Rotovaps are mainly used for solvent recycling, sample concentration, extractions and isolation of solvent mixtures.
Rotovaps incorporate a rotating motor, a heating fluid bath, an evaporating flask, a collection flask, a condenser and a vacuum source. Traditional rotovap condensers necessitate external sources of cooling materials like water, dry ice, glycol or liquid nitrogen. Glycol needs further recirculating chiller equipment, which is usually heavy, bulky and inefficient, mostly restricting their widespread use.
For several decades, traditional rotovaps have been environmentally damaging and unreliable, with inefficient vapor trapping, associated operational costs, health implications of frostbite and exposure to carbon dioxide gas from dry ice and dangerous solvent mixtures.
Ecodyst has used a proprietary and novel self-cooling technology to completely transform the rotovap, making it more efficient with a more compact footprint, greater output and lower operational cost than conventional methods. This novel technology has set new standards for rotary evaporators across the world.
Ecodyst’s proprietary, advanced smart self-cooling technology increases productivity and avoids downtime. Thanks to its refrigerated cooling condenser, the technology provides a paradigm shift and sets a new standard for cooling down specimens without using standard coolants, such as water, glycol or dry ice. This avoids wasting significant material sources linked to traditional rotovaps.
Ecodyst’s versatile hydrogen is energy-efficient, reliable, eco-friendly and sustainable. This modern rotovap also offers superior performance, reduces evaporation time, features a more compact footprint, is more cost-efficient to operate and has a wider cooling survey area. All these features allow researchers to pay attention to more challenging tasks.
Ecodyst Modern Rotovaps offer the following competitive advantages:
- Intelligent self-cooling condenser
- No need for an external chiller or dry ice
- Environmentally friendly
- Compact footprint
- Zero associated operational costs
- Faster evaporation rates
- Conserves water and avoids water bills
- Condenser always available
- Pays for itself within three to five years
- High productivity levels
Image Credit: Ecodyst
The modern rotovap is a comprehensive technology with the following key features:
- Integrated condenser provides the needed cooling temperature
- Remote function allows data transmission and PC control
- Chemically resistant condenser coils with a wider surface area
- Rotation speed and cooling/heating temperatures are digitally displayed, thereby enabling optimal control of all distillation procedures
- Speed ranges varying from 20 to 280 rpm and interval operation in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions are available for the drying process
- A 5-L heating bath is provided with a wide temperature range from room temperature to 180 °C; water/oil heating mode can be modified with a switch
- Ejection mechanism enables the easy removal of the evaporating flask
- Automatic motor lift carries the evaporating flask to a safe position when a power failure occurs
- Highly chemical-resistant double stainless steel spring sealing ring sealed with PTFE provides an excellent sealing performance
- Overheating protection temperature of 220 °C
Image Credit: Ecodyst
Technical Data of Ecodyst Hydrogen
The Ecodyst rotovap features a voltage range of 100–120 V or 200–240 V and a frequency of 50/60 Hz.
Hydrogen Cooling Capacity
Table 1. Source: Ecodyst
|90 oF Ambient Air Temp
||Ecodyst 1H Condenser
(W) +/- 5%
Specifications of Rotovap Components
Table 2. Source: Ecodyst
||Ecodyst 1H Rotovap
||Brushless DC motor
|Clockwise and Anti-clockwise
|Heating Temperature Range
||Room temp. to 180 ℃
||water: ±1 ℃ oil: ±3 ℃
||automatic 150 mm
|Time Setting Range
|Permissible Ambient Temperature
|Permissible Relative Humidity
||100-120/200-240 V 50/60 Hz