The DT-1201 AcoustoPhor Acoustic & ElectroAcoustic Spectrometer measures both particle size and zeta potential of concentrated colloids, suspensions and emulsions. It offers unparalleled analytical capabilities for advanced dispersion characterization of even complex sample types at process concentrations.
The DT series of instruments use acoustic and electroacoustic spectroscopy to characterize a wide range of concentrated materials without dilution, thus providing meaningful results for real- world samples. Alternative analytical techniques require significant dilution of the sample to accommodate instrument limitations. Such unwanted dilution most often changes the sample properties such that the measured results may give a very false picture of the particle size and zeta potential of the actual product.
The theories of acoustic and electroacoustic measurements have been developed and refined over several decades by the researchers of Dispersion Technology Inc. These refined instruments are now being supported by Horiba Instruments’ applications and service staff.
Measure without dilution: The acoustic measurement method allows accurate measurements to be made at concentrations up to 50 volume %, eliminating the need for dilution or other sample preparation.
Wide particle size range: The advanced measurement sensor system allows a particle size range of 0.005-100µm to be measured in a single analysis.
Wide range of sample types: The highly-refined analyzer and measurement algorithms allow a wide range of sample types to be measured, including those that are difficult for other acoustic or electroacoustic analyzers:
- Mixed systems of dissimilar materials, e.g. alumina / zirconia ceramic slip.
- Measures particle size even for extreme cases of conductivity, e.g Portland cement. (Works even with conducting particles).
- Measures particles size in polymer solutions with extremely high macroscopic viscosity.
- Particle size measurement does not require charged particles.
Range of Sampling Systems
Samples can measured in a static 50ml sampling chamber, mixed with a magnetic stirrer or circulated with a peristaltic pump, depending on the requirements of the sample.
Measurement of Colloids: possible with viscosities up to 20,000 cP
Advanced Measurement System
The acoustic attenuation measurement sensor has an unequaled specification, providing the widest range of capabilities and highest performance.
- Frequency range: 1 - 100 MHz
- Variable detector spacing
- No particle size calibration required such as measuring a colloid with known particle size.
- Sound speed measurement - 800 – 2000 m/sec • Visco-elastic extensional properties
- Compressibility of liquid system