About the Multi-Purpose Flow Cell (MPFC)
The Multi-Purpose Flow Cell (MPFC) is an ideal tool for processes that cannot utilize direct insertion probes nor require the use of added assurance of the High Safety Flow Cell onto the materials being used in the process. By utilizing near infrared process spectroscopy, the MPFC ensures that intrinsically safe fiber optic cables are used to remotely locate the probe during these types of experimental procedures.
While the use of direct insertion probes can eliminate the use and associated problems with both sample loops and sample systems, it may be necessary to install sample loops to promote the utmost safety, service, and sample conditioning aspects during these procedures.
To address these concerns, the MPFC offers users with a convenient, compact, and rugged sample interface that is both easy to install and service. More specifically, the MPFC’s sapphire windows can be easily cleaned by the simple removal clean-out plug to provide the user with direct access to the windows without requiring any process lines or fiber optic cables to be connected during the process.
The Simple and Serviceable Design of the MPFC
Some of the most notable elements within the MPFC design includes:
- Simple and serviceable O-ring seals
- GW clean-out port
- High optical efficiency
- Slip jointed conduit-ready connections
- Sapphire windows
- Clean flow pattern
- O-ring sealed optics to prevent ambient moisture infiltration.
- Easily disassembled probe for O-ring service
- Can be easily reassembled without changing the optical pathlength, which is a crucial parameter to allow for repeatable measurements.
The MPFC is comprised of standard 316L stainless steel; however, many other alloys are also available upon request. Additionally, the specific material of the O-rings can be made suitable to meet the user’s process chemistry and safety requirements.
For example, some common materials for O-rings include Viton, Kalrez®, EPDM and several others, all of which are readily available upon request. If certain temperature specifications and chemical compatibility properties of the O-ring materials must be made, it is recommended that users consult with Guided Wave as necessary.
Exceptional Light Transmission
In a similar manner to other Guided Wave optical probes, the MPFC provides users with an exceptional optical performance with peak transmission that typically exceeds 50%. As a result, the MPFC provides more signal and lower measurement noise to ultimately allow for lower limits of detection.
Dual Seal for Added Safety
Guided Wave’s MPFC is equipped with a dual seal present within the sapphire ‘window-to-process’ interface, which provides an additional layer of protection for expensive internal optical lenses.
- Temperature Range: Up to 300 °C (O-ring material dependent)
- Pressure Range: Up to 500 psi (O-ring durometer dependent)
- A certified version is available that is rated to 1000 psi
- The MPFC can be made available in five standard pathlengths: 1, 2, 5, 10, and 20 mm.
Heated Version Available
Upon request by the user, an MPFC capable of accepting heating or cooling fluid can also be made available. While the heat within this system is not sufficient enough to significantly impact a rapidly flowing sample, the use of the heated MPFC can provide an improved temperature maintenance of preconditioned samples.
- Body Material:
- 316L stainless steel (standard)
- Hastelloy B
- Hastelloy C-276
- Titanium 6A1-4 V
- Nickel 200
- Monel (Nickel 400)
- Carpenter 20
- 316 stainless steel
- 304 stainless steel
- O-Ring Material:
- Several other materials are also available.
- Window Material:
- Sapphire (Vis-NIR)
- Fused Silica (UV)
- Pathlength/Flow Tube Size:
- 1 mm / 3/8” OD Tubulation
- 2 mm / 3/8” OD Tubulation
- 5 mm / 3/8” OD Tubulation
- 10 mm / 1/2” OD Tubulation
- 20 mm / 1” OD Tubulation