Range of Application
testXpert® is the universal Zwick test software for materials, component, and functional testing. Its application range goes from Zwick materials testing machines (for tensile, compression, flexure and functional testing) to hardness testers, pendulum impact testers, extrusion plastometers, automated test systems, etc. right up to the refurbishment of testing machines of a variety of makes and models.
Tasks and Functions
• The essential fields of use of testXpert® are:
• Verification and re-equipping of the test machine
• Preparation of the test or test series
• Performance of the test
• Evaluation and documentation
• Data management
• Quality management and
• Data exchange between testXpert® and other applications (Word, Excel etc.)
testXpert® supports the user for all tasks with software wizards and editors, explanatory pictures andvideo sequences, situation-specific user tips, warnings, error messages and online help.
The testXpert® test software uses the special properties of the object oriented programming with respect to a clear grouping in tasks and functions. Structure and contents are determined by the Zwick application and software know how. The testXpert® concept is therefore a guarantee for highest flexibility, functional safety as well as simple usability. The essential characteristic features are:
• Uniform basic software for all applications
• Modular system for test programs
• User support through software tools
The test programs are compiled by Zwick from a selection of several hundred software modules. The modules are subdivided into classes such as test parameters, test sequence phases, screen views etc. They are continuously updated and expanded with respect to new states of knowledge and necessary supplements. This makes testXpert® an intelligent software, and thus enables the realization of test programs strictly to test standards and test programs related to practical applications. Thanks to the numerous possibilities of this system, testXpert® can be put to universal use for a wide applicational spectrum and for a variety of testing machines.
The test programs compiled by Zwick stipulate how tests are to be run. Their basis are selected software modules that are linked to one another and are pre-configured through fixed parameters depending upon the functions required. Thus the user only has to enter variable parameters in the “test template”. There are three variants available for a wide range of requirements:
• Master test programs
• Standard test programs, and
• Customized test programs
International Quality Standards
A software product only complies with international quality standards if each and every version is transparent, documented and archived for 10 years.
Figure 1. testXpert® Screenshot: Tensile test on sheet steel with r- and n value determination
The testXpert®test software fully meets these requirements and even the particularly strict guidelines of the Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). The entire software development process and its components are diligently documented and archived from the source code through to the software tools used, for each and every version. This is valid for each phase from analysis via specification, design and implementation up to the test. Conformity to the standard ISO 9000-3 for development of testXpert® has been confirmed via audit report no. QM-F-96/1016.
Safety in Detail
Windows software is normally used in offices. However, testXpert® takes over an additional and especially critical task: the monitoring and controlling of machines. Machine damage and potential danger to persons must be ruled out. That’s why testXpert® doesn’t use any overlapping windows in the test mode to avoid hiding important displays or key fields.
Automatic Acceptance of System Data
Different test jobs require different test machines with different and usually interchangeable components. Their specific properties are characterised by the system data (nominal force, travel, speed range, mounting height, calibration factors, etc.). Organisational data also belong to the above, e.g. the series number or the date of the last calibration.
testXpert® accepts these data automatically directly after the program start
· for the necessary settings
· for the determination of safety limit values
· for the correct measurement signal evaluation
Furthermore testXpert® checks whether or not
· the test can be carried out with this configuration
· all settings have been made
· the data have changed for the current test
The operator’s effort is reduced to a one-button operation, i.e. activating the start button, for standard applications. This is possible because testXpert® automatically records the test data, and dependent upon this, controls and monitors the test sequence and determines and documents the test results. Preparation of a test series requires only two steps:
· Call-up the test program foreseen for the required application
· Input or selection of variable parameters
Optimum User Information
All displays necessary for the performance of a test and a test series, can be grouped together in a clear and concise manner in one single screen setting.
· Input fields for specimen-specific test parameters
· Curve diagram (single or multiple curves)
· Tables for test results
· Tables for result statistics
Data Backup for Further Use
Depending upon the preselection in the test program, not only all data but also selected result data from a test or test series can be saved. The saving of all data offers the possibility of tracing the origin of the result data up to configuration and settings for the test machine. The standardized measurement data, i.e. the data converted to its basic units can be repeatedly displayed in the simulation mode and can also be evaluated according to other criteria.
The test software testXpert® does not only support the user by means of “Help” videos. It is also possible to carry out multimedia tests by using a video camera and a videocapture card with the video pictures being recorded time-synchronously with the test data.
· With the cursor keys, a “video reticle” can be moved over the test curve and the corresponding picture can be displayed
· The pictures can be captured at a preselected distance of the measuring points or in dependence on the event
· The video can also be played alone, irrespective of the testing machine
· Distances between two points and angles between three points, radii, diameters and areas can be measured from the specimen in pictorial representation
• Optionally, the pictures can also be output with dimension lines and test data