Eddy current separators are used to separate non-magnetic (also known as non-ferrous) metals. They purify large bulk streams and can separate non-ferrous metals for reuse. Eddy current separators have numerous uses because they can handle high capacities. This is because the conveyor belt separates and carries away non-ferrous metals continuously. It is also fully automatic.
A critical factor for good separation is an even flow of material, supplied by a vibrating feeder or conveyor belt. This results in a uniform distribution across the belt, so that the material arrives as a monolayer. Therefore, the supplied layer thickness is about as thick as the largest piece. This also means that there are no pieces lying on top of each other which is especially important with smaller fraction sizes.
Eddy current separators have a high-speed magnetic rotor conveyor belt system. The rotation speed of the magnets generates an induction field, creating a rapidly changing magnetic field. The principle that every electrically conductive particle located in an alternating magnetic field is temporarily magnetized is the basis of the separation.
For a moment, all metals that pass the magnetic roller become magnetized themselves, causing them to be ejected. This allows the system to separate a huge number of non-ferrous metals and their alloys, including aluminum, copper and brass.
Goudsmit separators can remain operational day and night in even the most demanding applications. They are built robustly and are equipped for applications such as incinerator slag reprocessing.
Other application examples include:
- Removal of aluminum caps for the glass recycling industry;
- Removal of brass rivets or hinges in the wood recycling industry;
- Removal of non-magnetic metals from slag from waste incineration plants;
- Processing of scrap, electronics waste and household waste;
- Elimination of impurities from recycled plastic streams for protection of injection molding machines;
- Removal of broken-off excavator teeth in mining and mineral streams;
- Recovery of casting residues in the metal casting industry.
Eddy current Non ferrous separator working principle 3D animation