The Dynamic Vapor Sorption (DVS) Instrument Series from Surface Measurement is the world’s leading line of advanced gravimetric sorption analyzers. This helps set the benchmark for precision, accuracy, and versatility in the characterization of solid-state materials.
With seven instruments making up the DVS series available, Surface Measurement Systems could offer improved solutions tailored to the requirements and scope of any research project.
What is Dynamic Vapor Sorption?
Developed by Professor Daryl Williams, Founder and MD of Surface Measurement Systems, Dynamic Vapor Sorption (DVS) is a gravimetric sorption method that quantifies how rapidly and how much vapor or gas is sorbed by a sample, such as dry powder absorbing water.
It performs this by varying the vapor/gas concentration around the sample (which can weigh between 1 mg and 4 g) in a controlled environment and quantifying the consequent changes in mass. While water vapor is most commonly used, the technique can also be employed with a wide range of organic solvents.
DVS is a precious tool in R&D laboratories worldwide, from pharmaceutical, personal care, food, and health to energy, agriculture, aerospace, environmental, and building material industries.
A Comprehensive Sorption Solution
Whatever the scope of the sorption research project, the DVS series provides a world-leading solution. The instruments in the series are constructed to cater to particular requirements in the sorption science community, allowing scientists to select the instrument that best serves their needs.
With a range of modular accessories and special features expanding the instruments’ abilities, from high throughput to organic solvent sorption capacity, the DVS line is developed to apply a peerless level of accuracy and precision.
Features of the DVS Product Line
- Generate water and organic vapor kinetics and isotherms
- Accurate humidity control
- Obtain matchless baseline stability with the SMS Ultrabalance
- Particularly design instruments for CO2 uptake analysis and vacuum measurements
- Analyze sorption capacity of solids at a temperature range of 5 °C to 85 °C
- Modular accessories enable Raman Spectroscopy
- Available up to 5x concurrent sample measurement for higher throughput
- In-situ preconditioning available with pre-heater
- Accurate organic solvent measurement with patented Speed-of-Sound sensor
Applications Made Possible by the DVS Series
- Competitive adsorption
- Drying and dehydration
- Diffusion and permeability
- Water sorption isotherms and kinetics
- Relative humidity-induced glass transition temperature
- Formulation performance
- Surface energy and adhesion
- Sorption capacity
- Vapor pressure of solids and liquids
- Polymers–solvent swelling and interactions
- Porosity and surface area
- Amorphous content determination
- Batch-to-batch variability
Instruments in the DVS series
DVS Adventure - the world's leading advanced water vapor sorption analyzer that enables unparalleled accuracy and detailed insight into the sorption properties of solid-state materials.
DVS IntrinsicPLUS - Compact DVS instrument for complex water sorption challenges
DVS Resolution - Dual vapor gravimetric sorption analyzer, capable of measuring sorption properties with water and organic solvents.
DVS Carbon - the world's only CO2 & H2O gravimetric sorption analyzer for determining materials properties for CCUS applications.
DVS Discovery - Dual balance gravimetric vapor sorption analyzer, allowing simultaneous water and organic solvent sorption experiments.
DVS Endeavour - Unbeatable throughput with 5x parallel gravimetric sorption analyzer
DVS Vacuum - Gravimetric gas/vapor sorption vacuum analyzer
Source: Surface Measurement Systems Ltd
Expanded capabilities with modular accessories
The capabilities of the DVS instruments can be greatly expanded with the series of modular accessories available to be installed. These allow user to broaden the horizons of their research, and gain more insight into the sorption properties of their materials.
- IR/Raman Spectroscopy
- High Temperature Sample Preheater
- Heated Reservoir
- Video Microscopy
- DVS Payne Cell
DVS Control & Analysis Software
The DVS Control & Analysis Software enables users to control every variable in their experimental set up and automate the process, reducing required user hours and downtime between experiments. Then the Analysis software offers all the collective expertise of Surface Measurement Systems with innovative one-click data analysis and reporting functions.
|DVS Control Software
- Live data view and plotting
- Full control over all parameters
- Powerful custom methods and sequences
- Complex isotherm or isobar experiments
- Temperature changes in a single experiment
- Ramp or step methods available
- Intelligent (dm/dt) or timebased step equilibration criteria
- Multiple concentration or temperature cycles
- Automated video image or
- Raman spectra acquisition
DVS Analysis Software
- Automated isotherm calculation
- Full kinetics information during experiment
- Isotherm modeling
- Enthalpy (heat) of adsorption
- Permeability and diffusion modeling
- Surface area models
Image Credit: Surface Measurement Systems Ltd