The DVS Intrinsic plus is a high-sensitivity, rapid and precise technique for automated determination of moisture sorption properties of solids. This low-cost, compact solution from Surface Measurement Systems enables solving complex water sorption challenges.
The key features of the DVS Intrinsic plus are:
- High quality water isotherms and efficient water activity measurements
- Step-by-step software wizards guide users through routine procedures
- Smallest, compact design that makes optimal use of limited bench space - only 26cm wide
- Advanced electronics and simplified user interface
- Accommodates wide variety of sample geometries and up to 5 gram capacity
- SMS UltraBalanceTM provides unrivalled sensitivity and baseline stability
- Built-in Network Connectivity for easy data sharing and remote analysis
- Supports 21 CFR part 11
DVS Intrinsic PLUS: Dynamic Gravimetric Water Sorption Analyzer from Surface Measurement Systems
Building Material Sorption Isotherms
Building Material Sorption Kinetics - H2O
Diffusion Thin Films Sorption and Desorption
Humidity Ramp Salbutamol Sulphate
Hydrate Sorption Naloxane
The specifications of the DVS Intrinsic plus are provided in the following table:
|Maximum Sample Mass
|Stability (24 hours @25°C and 0% RH)
|Typical Gas Flow Rate
||40mm W x 50mm D x 50mm H
||100 ml capacity
||Peltier + Cartridges
||26cm W x 39 cm D x 47cm H
||TCP/IP and USB
||Air or N2
||* performance may vary depending on laboratory conditions
The applications of the DVS Intrinsic plus are:
- Studying hygroscopicity of powders, fibers and solids
- TEWL / transepidermal water loss
- MVTR / moisture vapour transmission rate determination
- Sorption modelling
- Moisture compatibility
- Calculation of diffusion coefficients
- Kinetics of water sorption and desorption
- Water induced morphology changes
- Food shelf-life prediction studies
- Water activity measurements
Materials studied using the DVS Intrinsic Plus include:
- Packaging materials: paper, plastics
- Personal care products: cosmetics, contact lenses and hair care
- Building materials: aggregates, ceramics and cement
- Natural materials: seed/grains, biomass and wood
- Food: processed food, powders and biscuits
- Pharmaceuticals: tablets, powders, excipient materials and APIs
Benefits of DVS Water Sorption Analysis
The water sorption characteristics of solid materials are recognized as critical factors in determining their stability, storage, processing and application performance.
These characteristics are normally determined for a number of artificial and natural materials and have conventionally been studied by storing saturated salt solutions of known relative humidity and then weighing these samples in a routine manner until equilibrium is attained.
The DVS Intrinsic PLUS offers several benefits over these methods, which are:
- The DVS Intrinsic plus technique, because of optimized vapor flow, brings down the time needed to reach an equilibrium, determined in minutes rather than days. Also as moisture has a dynamic flow, the need for large sample sizes is reduced, requiring only a few milligrams of sample.
- There is no need for the sample to be removed from the instrument because of the dynamic flow of the vapour, eliminating contamination and errors related to removing samples from storage containers in previous methods.
- The DVS Intrinsic plus enables kinetic water sorption/desorption data to be collected in real time, which is not possible in static methods.
- The DVS Intrinsic plus technique brings down operational and labor costs by enabling higher productivity in skilled technicians.