Strongwell’s SAFRAIL™ fiberglass ladders and ladder cages are mounted on the sides of buildings and tanks, and are a common site in a wide range of industries. Since the 1950s, fiberglass ladder and ladder cage systems have been in use in chemical plants and other corrosive environments. Even in complete immersion applications, the fiberglass has outlasted steel and aluminum and needed little or no maintenance.
Sizes and Availability
SAFRAIL™ ladders are made in a standard rung width configuration of 18" (460 mm) with rung spacings of 12" (300 mm). Ladders of various lengths can be produced as practical. Regular SAFRAIL™ ladder and ladder cage systems are designed and developed to meet the OSHA 1910.27 requirements. Upon request, custom designed ladders and access cages, and custom colors can be fabricated. Pre-assembled ladders can be delivered for field installation.
Materials of Construction
A premium grade polyester resin system with ultraviolet (UV) inhibitor and flame retardant additives are used to produce SAFRAIL™ ladders and ladder cage systems. For additional corrosion resistance, a vinyl ester resin system is available on request. Standard cages and side rails are pigmented OSHA safety yellow, while the rungs are a pultruded fiberglass polyester tube with a fluted, non-skid surface.
This fiberglass ladder and cage provide worker access to a maintenance platform at a Ciba Geigy plant in the northeastern United States.
Pultruded fiberglass components are used to fabricate SAFRAIL™ fiberglass ladder systems, as produced by Strongwell. Cage hoops are fabricated with the open molded hand lay-up process. The pultruded parts can be produced with a fire retardant polyester resin, which meets the ASTM E-84 test for flame spread of 25 or less and also includes a UV inhibitor. The color will be OSHA safety yellow.
SAFRAIL™ Ladders and Ladder Cages
SAFRAIL™ fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) ladder and cage systems meet the requirements stipulated in OSHA 1910.27. Ladders can be assembled in shops and can be pre-drilled and prepared for field attachment of standoff clips.
The cage straps, side rails, and rungs are pultruded fiberglass reinforced components. The side rails are 2.375" (60.3 mm) or 2" (50.8 mm) square tube, with a wall thickness of 0.156" (3.81 mm) or greater. The rungs are pultruded 1.25" (31.8 mm) diameter FRP fluted tube.
The open mold hand lay-up process is used for manufacturing cage hoops with a width of 3" (76.2 mm) and thickness of 1/4" (6.4 mm) minimum at the top and bottom, and 2" x 1/4" (50.8 mm x 6.4 mm) at the intermediate hoops. The cage is interconnected with 2" x 3/16" (50.8 mm x 4.76 mm) pultruded straps spaced 9" (229 mm) on center around the hoop.
Fiberglass access ladders are used throughout the service areas of Sea World in Orlando, FL, and resist saltwater corrosion and reduce maintenance costs.
How to Order
- Resin System - The standard resin system is a flame-retardant polyester. A vinyl ester resin system is also available on request
- Ladder Cage - If a ladder cage is required, it is important to determine the exit method at the top of the ladder cage. If none is given, Strongwell will select the starting height. The starting height will be between 7’ (2134 mm) and 8’ (2438 mm), as required by OSHA. It has to be noted whether the cage is to be assembled or delivered with the ladder as a kit. A polyester resin system with a flame retardant is used to make the ladder cage. On special request, a vinyl ester resin system is also provided
- Painting - It is recommended to use a polyurethane coating to prevent fading caused by UV exposure related to outdoor installations
- Color - Standard SAFRAILTM ladders contain yellow side rails and rungs, but custom colors are also available on request
- Ordering - Customers can select one of the four standard ladder types shown below. They can add optional return if needed, and also determine the dimensions needed for each type of ladder chosen
- Special Orders - If the standard ladder types shown below do not meet customers’ requirements, then a sketch or a drawing needs to be submitted for pricing purposes
Standard Ladder Systems
Standard Walk-Through Ladder with Base Clip
Standard Ladder with Base Mount
Standard Ladder Cage
Standard Walk-Through Ladder with Large Standoff Bracket Wall Mount
Standard Ladder with Large Standoff Wall Mount
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Strongwell Corporation.
For more information on this source, please visit Strongwell Corporation.