ABB’s MB3000 FT-IR laboratory analyzer with Horizon MB™ FTIR software delivers an optimum combination of reliability, consistency of results over a prolonged period of time, low cost of ownership and spectroscopic performance.
It is an easy-to-use and maintenance-free analyzer that can provide consistent analytical results every year.
MB3000 FT-IR Analyzer Designed for Research and Development
The Optimum IR Analyzer Solution
The MB3000 FT-IR laboratory analyzer is the result of more than 40 years of experience in the aerospace, chemical, pharmaceutical, academic and petrochemical industries. It is the successor to the FTLA2000 spectrometer, also designed by Dr. Henry Buijs, a world famous expert known for his applied research in spectroscopy. Marketed by Bomem Inc. since 1985, and built keeping in mind the concerns of lab users, the MB3000 is the ultimate in reliability, ease of use and consistency.
Manufactured with heavy-duty modules, a permanently aligned optical system, and minimal mechanical components, the MB3000 does not require alterations or maintenance for years to come. The result: a reliable spectrometer that delivers the most consistent results.
The double-pivot interferometer’s innovative design guarantees increased robustness. The optics are permanently aligned, facilitating more repeatable, reproducible spectroscopy and removing the need for dynamic alignment. The scanning mechanism is given a lifetime guarantee.
The MB3000 with its vertical, space-efficient design enhances laboratory workspace and facilitates access to internal parts.
First Maintenance-Free FT-IR Analyzer
The MB3000 has fixed components that do not wear out with use, thus components do not need to be adjusted or replaced. With the MB3000, the HeNe LASER is substituted by a solid state laser. All the optics used in the analyzer are non-hygroscopic. Purging is not necessary for the protection of optics.
To make the most of the reliability, the source is worked so as to provide a 10-year expected lifetime.
MB3000 showing results of the Horizon MB software
ABB’s world-class laboratory FT-IR analyzers offer maximum reliability for dependable results and minimal maintenance.
Reliable, Consistent Results
Permanently Aligned Optical System
With the permanently aligned optics using only fixed components together with a patented interferometer scan mechanism, the MB3000 delivers reliable, precise and reproducible results for years to come as well as from unit to unit.
Heavy-Duty, Reliable Components
The MB3000’s modular components have been engineered to provide the longest product life on the market. The design of the MB3000 is based on the following principles: No adjustments, no maintenance, and a scan mechanism that has no wear. The MB3000’s reliability comes from reliable components and their integration in a system needing minimal moving parts.
Unprecedented Spectral Performance
Permanently aligned optics with a Jacquinot stop in the interferometer output beam guarantee an accurate and steady line shape as well as resolution and wavelength stability.
Versatility at a Glance
Standard Open Sample Compartment
The arid-zone open sample compartment of the MB3000 addresses all the requirements of the present-day analytical laboratory. It can hold a wide range of easily swappable ABB or third-party accessories that do not need alignment. The instrument can also be purged if required.
Multiple Sampling Options
ABB offers the MIRacle™, a universal ATR sampling kit to examine gels, solids, pastes, liquids, and intractable materials addressing the most typical sampling needs. Other sampling options offered by ABB include a horizontal ATR kit, gas cells, a diffuse reflectance DRIFT accessory, demountable liquid cells, specular reflectance accessories with variable and fixed angles, and micro-sampling with a microscope or beam condenser. The simple in-sample-compartment microscope allows convenient sample viewing. The microscope uses the uncooled detector of the MB3000 and is ideal for analysis of sample areas as small as 100 µm.
Multiple accessories can be used with the MB3000 to address several analysis needs
MB3000: Horizon MB Software Suite
Managing analytical results has never been easier.
Horizon MB FTIR (Standard Package)
The Horizon MB FTIR module enables the acquisition, processing and analysis of samples. All the available functions are packaged in modules, so customers pay only for what they need.
Horizon MB Professional
The Horizon MB Professional module includes improved mathematical functions, 3D capabilities, and comprehensive import/export functions. It also comprises a regulatory module for automated implementation and reporting of the instrument verification tests illustrated in the pharmacopeia guidelines.
Horizon MB Library
The Horizon MB Library module is engineered for efficient numerous library searches. It provides spectrum and full-text search capabilities with commercial and custom libraries.
The Horizon MB FTIR software package offers multiple modules to address specific needs
Horizon MB IR Interpretation
The Horizon MB IR Interpretation module is used to examine IR spectra in semi-automated, fully automated, or manual modes. It is possible to easily identify functional groups using the IR interpretation rule database.
Horizon MB Reaction Monitoring
The reaction monitoring module offers all functions to gather and examine real-time spectra produced during chemical experiments. The user is taken through the various steps of the experiment arrangement, thanks to a reaction configuration wizard. The system can produce multiple real-time trends of chemical properties or spectral features.
Horizon MB Quantify
The Horizon MB Quantify module integrates univariate and multivariate algorithms like MLR and PLS for data analysis and quantification. It also includes the Horizon MB Professional module.
Horizon MB Security
The Horizon MB Security module provides two selectable security levels. It offers unique access control to software functions based on permission schemes, hierarchical access control based on data electronic signatures, activity logging, access roles, and traceability of all data manipulations.
Horizon MB Scripting
The Horizon MB Scripting module enables users to create their own sequences and functions using the script recorder or writing code directly for the SAX basic scripting engine.
Horizon MB QA
The QA module is built to facilitate regular analysis for lab and at-line quality assurance and quality control. It includes wide-ranging reporting capabilities.
Spectroscopic Performance (Typical at 25 °C with DTGS Detector)
- Spectral range 485 to 8500 cm−1
- Resolution better than 0.7 cm−1
- Apodized resolution adjustable from 1 to 64 cm-1, in increments of 2
- Maximum signal-to-noise ratio (RMS, 60 s, 4 cm−1, at peak response): 50,000:1
- Signal sampling: 24-bit ADC
- Short-term stability: <0.09% at 4000 cm−1
- Temperature stability: <1% per °C at 4000 cm−1
- Short-term stability (at 8,000 cm−1): <0.09%
- Frequency repeatability (at 1918 cm−1): <0.001 cm−1
- Frequency accuracy (at 1918 cm−1): <0.06 cm−1
Application Software (Computer not Included)
- Standard software: Horizon MB FTIR
- Optional modules: Horizon MB Professional, Quantify, Library IR Interpretation
- Reaction Monitoring, Security (21CFR part 11 compliance), Scripting, QA
- Beam splitter material ZnSe (non-hygroscopic)
- Patented double-pivot interferometer mechanism—high-throughput Michelson interferometer with protective cover
- Optical path fully purgeable
- Source, ceramic Globar with electronic stabilization, expected half-life, 10 years
- Metrology: solid-state laser (no scheduled maintenance required)
- Detector module: DTGS
- Open sample compartment configuration: Arid-zone, center focus
- Sample compartment dimensions: 20 x 14 cm (7.8 x 5.5 inch) plate, 8.7 cm (3.1 in) beam height
- Sample compartment mounting: 3-point positioning guide or 3-point kinematic adjustable
Accessory Information Interface
- USB connection between PC and accessory
- Temperature reading (when applicable)
- Temperature adjust (when applicable)
- ID serial number
- Factory acceptance test with data
- Instruction manual
- Hardware port Ethernet, 10/100 Mbps
- Casting: rugged all-metal with integral handles
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 37 x 43.5 x 28 cm (14.5 x 16.9 x 11 inch)
- Weight: 24 kg (52.9 lbs)
- Universal power supply: 100 to 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption: 65 W
- Operating temperature: 10 to 35 °C (50 to 95 °F)
- Operating relative humidity: 5% to 80%, non-condensing
- Regulatory certification and compliance: TUV and CE
- cGMP IQ-OQ protocol templates (optional)
- User manual
- Quick-start guide
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by ABB Measurement & Analytics - Analytical Measurement Products.
For more information on this source, please visit ABB Measurement & Analytics - Analytical Measurement Products.