With the Tinius Olsen high temperature furnace, customers can perform tensile tests within a temperature range of ambient to 1200 °C (2200 °F).
The furnace is supported on a frame post situated behind the columns of the testing machine. When the furnace is idle, it can be pushed aside and clear of the operating area.
The furnace has a superior quality rigid stainless steel outer case with a polished finish. Rigidity is most crucial to prevent the insulation cracking in service and to enable high temperature extensometers to be mounted straight on the furnace case.
Furthermore, the furnace features water-cooled mounting adaptors so that no heat is conveyed to the loadcell, which could adversely impact the operation and calibration of the loadcell measurements.
The control system is based on a Eurotherm 2408 digital temperature controller, providing a single type ‘K’ thermocouple, four-segment programmability, and all connecting cables. This is all accommodated within a standard 19” desktop console.
The three-zone furnace is provided with the extra heating tiles and control capability to allow highly optimized thermal uniformity over the specimen gage length.
- Type of furnace: Vertical three-zone split tube furnace
- Heating elements: Spiral wire coils embedded in vacuum formed ceramic fiber half cylinders
- Heated length: 300 mm over three zones
- Furnace bore: The furnace end insulation discs are bored out to 30 mm diameter. The heating chamber has an internal diameter of approximately 90 mm
- Overall external dimensions: 480 mm high x 255 mm diameter
- Temperature sensors: Type ‘N’ thermocouples
- Temperature control: Each zone regulated by a Tinius Olsen advanced set point programming temperature controller with 20 free-format segments. Scrolling text provides extra information of current status to the user. RS232 digital communications facility is added
- Safety switch: A safety switch cuts power to the elements when the furnace is opened
- Temperature uniformity: +/-5 °C or better over a length of 200 mm at temperatures above 650 °C. Figures based on measurements taken with an empty heating chamber and all holes insulated
- Energy rating: 2.5 kW (nominal)
- Power supply: 220-240 V
Furnace and High Temperature Extensometer