ASM Handbook Volume 18: Friction, Lubrication, and Wear Technology
Click here for further information
"A significant, comprehensive and convenient reference on wear processes and prevention of damage."
- Solid Friction - introduction, basic theory, frictional heating calculations, lab testing methods for solid friction, measuring and modeling during metal forming.
- Lubricants and Lubrication - liquid lubricants, lubrication regimes, lubricant additives and their functions, solid lubricants (grease), applications.
- Wear - wear by particles or fluids, by rolling/sliding/impact, chemically-assisted wear, monitoring and diagnosis.
- Laboratory Characterization Techniques - characterization of roughness and wear scar dimensions, microscopy, micromechanical properties, thermal/chemical/x-ray methods.
- Systematic Diagnosis of Test Data - basic tribological parameters, design of experiments, presentation of data, concepts of reliability and failure modes.
- Friction and Wear Components - bearings/gears/seals, transportation system components, industrial and mining machinery, medical and dental materials, electrical contacts, semiconductors.
- Materials for Friction and Wear Applications - ferrous and nonferrous metals and alloys, ceramics and composites, carbon-base materials and polymers.
- Surface Treatments and Coatings - surface finishes and patterned surfaces, thermal spray coatings, electroplated coatings, PVD and CVD coatings, ion implantation, laser surface processing, carburizing, nitriding.