Thermal management is of crucial importance to the electronics industry. Smaller, tightly packaged circuits and components create heat which ultimately affects the reliability and life of numerous electronic devices. With expectations for further miniaturization, the need for compounds to mitigate these problems is essential. In response to these needs, Master Bond has been in the forefront of developing thermal conductive compounds with superior performance properties.
Thermally Conductive Adhesives for High Vacuum Environments
Master Bond manufactures one and two component thermally conductive systems. They include epoxies, silicones and other elastomeric systems. Special formulations for unusual service conditions are available. They include serviceability to 500°F, at cryogenic temperatures, and in high vacuum environments as well as systems that are easily repairable. Designed for easy application, these compounds can be purchased in convenient packaging. They are used on heat sinks, fan sinks, package lids, motor controls, multiplexers, sensors, power semiconductors and thermistors. Toughened systems have been successfully employed in applications requiring resistance to shock, vibration and thermal cycling.
Master Bond Thermally Conductive Adhesive Products
The following table summarizes Master Bond's range of thermal adhesives system.
High thermal conductivity potting & bonding epoxy that meets NASA low outgassing specifications. Cures rigid.
For potting & bonding. Good thermal conductivity. Cures flexible. Meets NASA low outgassing certification. Cryogenically serviceable.
General purpose, flexibilized epoxy with high thermal conductivity. Widely used for bonding dissimilar substrates.
NASA low outgassing certified, high temperature resistant, thermally conductive epoxy. Cryogenically serviceable.
One part, no-mix, thermally conductive epoxy adhesive/sealant. Unlimited working life at room temperature. Oven cures at 250-300°F. Excellent physical properties. Exceptional performance.
Typical Applications for Master Bond Thermal Conductive, Electrically Insulating Systems
Typical applications of Master Bond's range of adhesives, sealants, coatings products for thermal adhesives include:
- Potting modules
- Adhesive for power supply components
- Navigation systems
- SECC format devices and microprocessors
- Potting/encapsulating sensors
- Pin sealing
- Satellite radio receivers for heat dissipation
- Electric heating systems
- Adhesive for ink jet printer heads
- Voltage regulators
- Barrier to environmental contamination
- Alarm systems
- Battery monitoring systems
- Control units
- Attachments involving semiconductors
- Aerospace/NASA approved environments
- BGA-die heat spreader interface
- Bond flexible/rigid circuit boards
- SMD (surface mounted devices) attach
- Die attach hybrid/MCM (multi chip module)
- Noise filters
- Barrier to shock and vibration isolation
- Bonding high power LEDs to PCBs
- Screen printing for heat dissipation
- Speciality adhesives for uniform bondlines
- In-line bonding
- Stack chip bonding
- Sealing filter media to metal end caps
- Bonding integrated circuits to heat sinks
- Electric fuel injection systems
- Airbag controllers
- Connector sealing
- Instrument panel systems
- Ground plane bonding
- Antenna systems
- Wireless communications
- Satellite transmissions
- Substrate attachments
- Potting power supplies
- Lid bonding
- Potting and cavity filling
- Cryogenic applications
- Cooling fan controllers
- CSPs (chip-scale packages)
- Base plate attach
- Rapid curing thermal systems for high volume assembly
- Mounting heat sinks and heat sensitive electronic components
- Wafer lamination (thin-slice semiconductor material)
- Power conversion-automated power semiconductor attachment
- Thermal bridge to fill gaps between heat sources and heat sinks of power components
- Dissipate heat around electrical components in various machine parts
- RF power applications (radio frequency amplifier converts a low-power radio-frequency signal into a larger signal of significant power)
- Rapid curing thermal systems for packaging materials including ceramic, metal hybrid packages, organic boards and semiconductor materials
- Selected and specialized RFID Tags (radio frequency identification tags)
- Encapsulating, potting and casting of transformers, sensors, coils (such as chokes and solenoids, and high vibration coils) and micro circuitry
- Bonding components with mismatched coefficients of thermal expansion
- Staking transistors, diodes, resistors, integrated circuits and other thermal-sensitive components to printed circuit boards
- Bonds to metals, silica, steatite, alumina, sapphire and other ceramics, glass, plastics
- Excellent resistance to weathering, water, salts, and many other organic and inorganic compounds, mild acids and alkalis, and many other chemicals including petroleumsolvents, lubricating oils, and alcohol
- Strong, durable electrically insulating/thermally conducting bonds producing good temperature and impact resistance
- Repair of electrical modules, printed circuits, wave guides, flat cables & high frequency shields
- Rectifiers (electrical device that converts alternating current to rectified direct current)
High Performance Thermal Adhesives, Sealants and Coatings for the Electronic Industry
Master Bond's thermally conductive products are designed to offer superior quality and long term durability. They have earned a well deserved reputation for their performance upon exposure to hostile environmental conditions. Select from a wide range of systems conveniently packaged for ease of use. These compounds are available in different viscosities, cure times, chemical resistances, electrical properties, colors, etc. to best meet specific requirements. They are presently employed in applications ranging from design and production to repair, maintenance and field service.
Important Thermally Conductive System Performance Requirements
Master Bond's range of thermal conductive systems are designed to meet specific performance requirements. Among the most important are:
• Chemical Resistance
• Cryogenically Serviceable
• Easily Repairable
• Electrically Insulative
• Excellent Adhesion
• Dimensional Stability
• High Temperature Resistance
• Low Outgassing
• Low Shrinkage
• Low Stress
• Resistance to Water
• Low Thermal Expansion Coefficient
• Thermal Conductivity
• Peel Strength
• Thermal Cycling
• Shock Resistance
• Vibration Resistance
• Dielectric Strength
• Volume Resistivity
• Dielectric Constant
• Dielectric Factor
• Tensile Strength
New Thermal Conductive/Electrically Insulative Epoxy Systems
Master Bond has developed a variety of new thermally conductive and electrically insulative epoxy systems. They include:
||Toughened epoxy with outstanding thermal shock resistance. Serviceable up to +500° F. Shore D hardness 35. High bond strength. One part B-stage compound.
||Low viscosity, two component epoxy formulation. Toughened and flexibilized. Resistant to thermal cycling. Superior physical strength properties. Dimensional stability. Cures at room temperature.
||One to one mix ratio, two part epoxy system. Exceptionally high thermal conductivity. Serviceable up to +400° F. Cures at ambient temperatures. Exceptional chemical resistance.
||Superior electrical insulation properties. Two part epoxy formulation. Low viscosity, room temperature curing epoxy compound. Serviceable up to +450°F to 500°F. Excellent long term durability and dimensional stability. Outstanding chemical resistance.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Master Bond Inc.
For more information on this source, please visit Master Bond Inc.