In recent years, research efforts in nanotechnology have focused on easy-to-use tools for characterizing nanoparticles. There are numerous established techniques in the area of particle sizing for measuring particle size distributions of nano-dispersions, yet only few of them provide quantitative information in the 0.1 to 1 micron range.
The new FX-Nano technology, available from Particle Sizing Systems, An Entegris Company, uses SPOS technology for detecting single particle and sizing. It is based on a novel approach that uses a focused laser beam to attain a more intensely-illuminated and much smaller view volume.
The main features of the FX-Nano technology are:
- Can count and size particles as small as 150 nanometers
- Operates at much higher particle concentrations – above 1,000,000/mL
- Requires little or no dilution for most protein suspensions of interest
- SPOS technology helps quantify oversized particles, allowing manufacturers to enhance products as varied as IV emulsions and microprocessors
- Characterizes much smaller nanoparticles, leading to the introduction of innovative and better protein drugs and therapies.