There are many advantages of using Raman spectroscopy for rapid at-line, off-line, in-line or on-line analysis including:
- Quick real time or near real-time analysis
- Frequently collected data
- High-accuracy data
- Provides the pulse of a process
Process Analytical Technology
Process analytical technology (PAT) is used for conducting analysis in real time for pharmaceutical, petrochemical, chemical and food industries. Processes such as crystallization processes, coating, chemical reactions, blending operations and polymorphic transitions can be controlled using PAT.
Figure 1. PAT used for real-time analysis for different applications
Example of PAT
An example of PAT for reaction monitoring is using Raman spectroscopy to monitor the curing of a two-part epoxy using Raman spectroscopy. The curing of the epoxy causes a decrease in the epoxide band intensity around 1275cm-1, which can be easily monitored using Raman spectroscopy (Figure 2, 3). As can be seen in Figure 2, the peak disappears at 2580cm-1, indicating the consumption of the hardener during reaction.
Figure 2. 1275cm-1 epoxide ring band decreases on cure
Figure 3. Epoxide peak at 1275cm-1 decreases as cure reaction
Key Advantages of the i-Raman Series
The key benefits of the i-Raman Series are:
- BWIQ (quantitative analysis software)
- Lab/industrial grade probes and flow cells for a range of sampling environments
- BWID software for qualitative analysis with polymer and polymer additives library with ~1000 spectra
- Compact size for convenient process development environment
- BWSP-21pt11 software for real-time monitoring, including quantitative analysis and peak trending
- BWQT compliant software for real-time prediction and quantitative analysis with BWSP-21pt11
i-Raman® Series Set-Up for Process Analytical Technology Applications
In order to perform high-quality measurements for these applications, the following equipment are required:
- i-Raman Plus 785/532 S with E-grade Probe Upgrade to extend range to 65cm-1 (BWS465)
- i-Raman EX with 1064nm excitation (BWS485)
- Lab / Industrial Grade Probe (BAC102/101)
- Raman spectral libraries for easy identification (as Applicable)
- Software Suite: BWIQ, BWID, BWSP-21pt11 and BWQT
Figure 4. i-Raman® Series Set-Up
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by B&W Tek.
For more information on this source, please visit B&W Tek.