The TALYS ASP400 Series, a single-point fiber optics-based industrial FT-NIR analyzer, has been developed for in-line monitoring and control of continuous processes. Thanks to its seamless installation, customers can perform process characterization, real-time process monitoring, early troubleshooting, and determination of stream qualities.
ABB has developed this new-generation analyzer using its expertise of over three decades in process spectroscopy implementation by closely collaborating with chemical and refinery customers. The main concepts around which TALYS was designed are as follows:
- State-of-the-art analytical performance
- Ease of implementation
- Industrial robustness
- Ease of use
The TALYS single-point FT-NIR analyzer is best suited to monitor HF acid catalyst purity in refinery HF alkylation units. For this purpose, it is necessary to position the analyzer in a safe, remote location outside the protected HF acid area. TALYS requires very limited space and utilities, and is easy to install. Based on the requirements, an ex-certified version is also available.
Although TALYS has been developed with the ability to run a fully configured run-time version of ABB’s robust process FT-NIR software (FTSW), the novelty lies in the fact that this can be achieved using an on-board embedded controller, complete with HMI display. This considerably minimizes the requirements for space, power, packaging, and other utilities. It is feasible to remotely access the TALYS system over Ethernet for complete diagnostics.
TALYS exploits all of the innovative FT-NIR analyzer attributes introduced with the latest series of products from ABB, such as 24-bit ADC conversion, the VCSEL solid-state laser, and active power management of the NIR source. All these attributes result in a service interval of at least five years, but usually more.
As an addition to the innovative TALYS single-point analyzer discussed in this article, ABB offers the field-proven ABB acid area sample flow cell system to enable interfacing with the HF acid catalyst sample, thereby guaranteeing reliability, performance, and reduced cost of ownership of the entire system. TALYS functions by directly communicating with the plant DCS with the help of advanced TCP/IP or OPC communications (Modbus RTU with optional converter).
TALYS ASP400 touchscreen
- TALYS single-channel FT-NIR (ZnSe optics) for general-purpose area electrical classification
- External I/Os for alarm and concentration values
- One-room temperature InGaAs detector with 2.6 µm cutoff
- HF acid sampling system (one-stream)
- Embedded analyzer controller with HMI for display of analyzer status and stream qualities
- Sample system designed for field mount ambient 0 °C to +45 °C (0 to +113 °F) (needs to be guarded against direct sunlight and precipitation, and even the recommended instrument air pressure)
- Application configuration and embedded pre-calibrations for HF%, ASO%, and water% under UOP license
- Recommended pressure differential needed for fast loop 1.7 to 2.4 barg (25 to 35 psig)
- Temperature-controlled insulated cabinet for sample cell
- Maximal inlet pressure is 21 bar (305 psi)
- Sample has to be delivered to the sample system (sample cell) in liquid phase (without bubbles)
- Cell temperature controlled at 30 °C ± 1.7 °C (86 °F ± 35.06 °F).
- Sample system isolation valve remotely actuated through customer Emergencies Shut-down System (ESS)
- Cabinet-mounted welded sub-assembly process fast loop with Swirlclean filter (60 µm), requires 1 to 3.8 to 7.6 l/m (2 gal/m) fast loop flow, bypass sampling loop set at 30 to 50 cc/m (6.6×10–3 to 1.1×10–2 gal/m), through metering valve adjustment and flow meter
- Sample shut-off valve remotely actuated through I/O in analyzer
- Zellweger 4-wire HF safety sensor complete with 4 to 20 mA output and beacon light (needs 24 V DC supply)
Note: An order can be placed for an optional freeze protection heater when a lower ambient temperature installation as low as –20 °C (–4 °F) is needed.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by ABB Measurement & Analytics - Analytical Measurement Products.
For more information on this source, please visit ABB Measurement & Analytics - Analytical Measurement Products.