The Taber Oscillating Abrasion Tester, also known as the oscillating sand tester, is used to measure a material’s relative abrasion resistance to surface abrasion and/or marring. The tester is mainly used for transparent coatings and materials used in lenses and windows, but may also be utilized to evaluate materials such as organic paints and coatings, metals, plastics, etc.
Taber's oscillating sand abrasion tester can be used to modify test parameters, allowing operators to choose the operating stroke length and speed. In addition to the dry abrasion test, the tester can also be used with abrasive slurry to carry out erosion tests. Materials of various shapes can also be tested using a custom specimen holder.
The main features of the oscillating sand abrasion tester are:
- Measures relative abrasion resistance of a material to surface abrasion and/or marring
- Suitable for dry abrasion test and erosion tests
- Materials of various shapes may be tested using custom specimen holder
- Optional kit available to perform the Bayer Abrasion Test on contoured lenses
- Ideal for transparent materials and coatings used in windows and lenses