Brookhaven Instruments has introduced a high-resolution, digitally controlled particle size distribution analyzer called BI-DCP. The advanced analyzer provides high-resolution results in the size range between 0.01 and 30 µm, with standard analysis times spanning from 5 to 30 minutes.
The DCP (Disc Centrifuge Photosedimentometer) software enables easy instrument control, database management and data analysis. The menu-driven software allows a wide range of report formats. Brookhaven Instruments is known for providing light scattering instruments that are specifically designed for the characterization of sub-micron particle sizing and polymers.
The company has identified the need to create high resolution in the size range of 1 µm and keeping this aspect in mind, it has designed an instrument, the resolution of which exceeds any other method in this range.
Sedimentation is essentially a fractionation method and the BI-DCP analyzer offers a method to isolate the components of mixtures and also define an array of distributions.
Features at a Glance
- Stable, easy and fast operation
- Overcomes particle sizes in complex mixtures
- Well-suited for a variety of densities and sizes
- Calibration is not needed and precise derivations are obtained
- Internal and external gradient
- A wide range of operating modes
- Enables successive injections of samples
- HOST or LINE start methods
- Variable rotation speed
- Scanning or stationary detector
- Experimental conditions can be improved in advance
- Weight distributions are quantitatively determined
- Constant monitoring of temperature
- Modifiable reports and analysis
No other technique has the ability to resolve this many closely spaced-peaks.
The BI-DCP analyzer integrates a customized electronic drive system with excellent efficiency and, at the same time, operates quietly on the benchtop.
A built-in strobe light is synchronized to the drive circuit to assess the hydrodynamic stability of the sample. Furthermore, a sensor is used to track the disk temperature. The BI-DCP system provides the largest range of speeds, from 500 to 15,000 rpm, allowing an even higher range of particle size measurements. Measurement time is reduced by a scanning detector head.
Benefits of Use
An instrument is considered an investment in both the present and future. The BI-DCP analyzer is indeed affordable because it allows users to:
- Track incoming raw materials to minimize rework
- Overcome complex particle size distributions to improve structural and rheological characteristics
- Boost cost-effectiveness by decreasing the scale-up and process time
- Fingerprint the end products to reduce lot-to-lot variations
- Analyze the fundamentals of particle size to design innovative processes and products
- Improve material properties to further improve the performance of products