The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) has named 20 TMS members as recipients of the 2013 TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award. TMS is presenting the awards at TMS Division luncheons and council meetings during the 142nd TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition occurring this week (March 3-7, 2013) at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas.
One of the primary objectives of TMS is to recognize the accomplishments of its members. The TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award was created to enhance the professional development of dynamic young members from the five Technical Divisions of the Society. It is designed to help these young leaders become actively engaged in TMS activities through exposure to technical, management and leadership opportunities within the Society and through contacts and networking opportunities with TMS leaders and prominent Society members.
This year’s TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award winners selected by the Society’s five Technical Divisions are:
Electronic, Magnetic & Photonic Materials Division (EMPMD)
- Sarbajit Banerjee, State University of New York
- David Mitlin, University of Alberta/National Institute for Nanotechnology, National Research Council of Canada
- Yue Qi, General Motors Co.
- Guang Sheng, Scientific Forming Technology Corp.
Extraction & Processing Division (EPD)
- Jan deBakker, BBA Inc.
- Hojong Kim, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Jonghyun Lee, Tufts University
- Thomas Wynn, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Light Metals Division (LMD)
- Shib Narayan Meher, National Aluminium Company Ltd.
- Leon Prentice, CSIRO Process Science and Engineering
- James Saal, Northwestern University
- Kiran Solanki, Arizona State University
Materials Processing & Manufacturing Division (MPMD)
- Justin Crapps, ExxonMobil
- Remi Dingreville, Sandia National Laboratories
- Jun Lou, Rice University
- Jian Wang, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Structural Materials Division (SMD)
- Po-Yu chen, National Tsing Hua University
- Nikhil Gupta, Polytechnic Institute of New York University
- Alexis Lewis, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- Michael Sangid, Purdue University
Recipients of this year’s TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award receive support from the TMS Foundation to attend a TMS technical conference, as well as access to networking opportunities and an invitation to participate in TMS Board of Directors and Division Council meetings. Many of this year’s award winners already are involved in various events at the TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition currently underway in San Antonio, Texas.
Each year the society presents more than 60 awards in several major categories, including Young Leader Professional Development, Society, Division and other awards.
For more information about TMS awards and recognition, visit
http://www.tms.org/Society/TMSAwardWinners.aspx?year=2013#Young Leader Award Winners
Information about the TMS2013 Annual Meeting & Exhibition is available at www.tms.org/tms2013