Contaminated Samples and Robust Analysis – Not a Contradiction in Itself
The monitoring of industrial and municipal waste waters is controlled by several norms and standards such as EPA 9056, EPA 300.0, or ISO 10304-1.
When automating such analyses the challenge is in the existence of colloids, algae, particles, and bacteria, which frequently pollute such matrices.
Metrosep A Supp 4 – the Perfect Column for Waste Water Analysis
The Metrosep A Supp 4 is an exclusive column allowing users to perform rapid and precise analyses of municipal and other kinds of waste water. With a size of its polymer particles of 9 µm, this column works with a low back pressure enabling for quick results. The well-established Metrohm Inline Sample Preparation Technique of Inline Ultrafiltration consistently prevents the column from getting contaminated by any bacteria present in the sample.
Metrohm Inline Ultrafiltration for a Long Column Life
The Metrohm Inline Sample Preparation Technique of Inline Ultrafiltration (pore size of filter membrane: 0.2 µm) allows for a long life of the separation column even if used with extremely contaminated matrices. Challenged with high sample loads, users can simply automate this Inline Sample Preparation Technique, minimizing time and boosting the reproducibility of results. In order to enhance the selectivity of lipophilic analytes, organic modifiers of up to 100% can be used with the eluent.
Sample of a waste water purification plant: Metrosep A Supp 4 - 250/2.0: 1.7 mmol/L sodium hydrogencarbonate, 1.8 mmol/L sodium carbonate, column temperature 30 °C, sample volume 20 µL, flow 0.25 mL/min, inline ultrafiltration, sequential suppression, conductivity detector.
The Metrosep A Supp 4 Also Enables...
- The separation of the halogens fluoride, bromide, chloride, including iodide.
- The rapid analysis of late eluting ions such as iodide/citrate.
- The separation of iodide and iodate in the same run.
- Quick analyzes of up to 2.0 mL/min flow rate.
Did You Know That All Metrohm Columns...
- Offer robust Swiss Quality for a long column life.
- Record the number of injections and working hours of each column.
- Can be used with organic modifiers such as acetonitrile, acetone and methanol.
- Can be used with instruments from third party manufacturers as well.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Metrohm AG.
For more information on this source, please visit Metrohm AG.