Single crystal piezoelectric crystal wafers
Properties of the Single Crystal Piezoelectrics
The single crystal PMN-PT provides superior properties, enabling technologies not possible with piezoelectric ceramics:
- Custom sizes, shapes and orientations provide unique possibilities based on crystal orientations
- High coupling produces device bandwidths in excess of 100% in ultrasound and sonar projector applications
- Increase in compliance reduces piezoelectric stack length by up to 3X, enabling smaller platforms and devices
- Extremely high piezoelectric effect increases strain 5X over piezo-ceramics, reducing system power requirements
- Exclusive license for use in medical transducers and actuators reduces competition
Single crystal piezoelectric actuators are featured with low profile, high strain, high force and high precision. The XA actuators hold exceptional performances for applications in:
- Cryogenic actuations
- Adaptive optics
- Vibration control
- Adaptive structures, etc.
Machined piezoelectric single crystals.
Crystal sonar elements
Single Crystal Piezoelectric Composites
This new PMN-PT single crystal, 1-3 composites possess properties superior to piezoelectric ceramics and represent a major milestone in the advancement of medical ultrasound devices. The high electromechanical coupling of these crystals (>90%) results in a device with greater bandwidth (>100%) and acoustic power. The low acoustic impedance relative to bulk materials provides better acoustic matching, and the passive filler provides flexibility, allowing the composite plate to be curved for focusing.
Technology Readiness Level
The technology is commercially available. The company is ready to take orders and deliver product. This technology is supported by two US patents and has been awarded more than ten government contracts.
The originating company is a market driven company providing unique piezoelectric and power capacitor components to defense, medical and industrial firms. They specialize in advanced R&D and proprietary manufacturing to develop and produce conventional and new materials and components with revolutionary properties for use in acoustics, optics, power electronics and positioning/sensing. Their customers benefit from: (1) optimization of performance through tailored materials, and (2) superior quality at competitive prices.