Master Bond Inc offers the widest selection of compounds and the technical expertise to help you meet your potting and encapsulation needs. From relays, connectors and power supplies to surge suppressors and telecommunication equipment, worldwide manufacturers rely on Master Bond for their most crucial applications. Master Bond's products are technologically advanced and are designed to simplify processing requirements. They are freshly prepared to ensure maximum shelf life. Environmentally friendly, they contain no solvents or diluents.
Materials and Properties of Master Bond Potting and Encapsulation Compounds
Master Bond's line of adhesive bonding products consists of one and two component epoxies, silicones and polyurethanes. Single component UV curable systems are also available for use. Products vary in viscosity, cure speed, flexibility, electrical properties, thermal conductivity, chemical and temperature resistance, color, etc. Special formulations provide UL94V-0 flame resistance, high voltage insulation, enhanced thermal management properties, exceptionally low coefficients of thermal expansion, thermal shock resistance and are cryogenically serviceable, NASA low outgassing approved and meet USP Class VI requirements for medical usage.
Potting Compounds and Encapsulation Products for Electrical Applications
The following table summarizes Master Bond's range of potting compound and encapsulation products for electrical applications.
Low viscosity, optically clear epoxy. Ideal for thermal cycling and sensitive components. Has a room temperature or low elevated temperature cure.
Very low viscosity, rigid curing epoxy with excellent dimensional stability. Room temperature curable. Transparent. Ideal for optical applications.
Flexible, lower viscosity, thermally conductive epoxy. Meets NASA low outgassing specifications.
Superb general purpose, room temperature curing epoxy potting material. Easy to use. Suitable for casting 1-2” high. Also available in a USP Class VI biocompatible version.
High temperature resistant epoxy capable of resisting 450°F. Also available in a USP Class VI medical grade. Resists repeated autoclaving. For best results, cure at room temperature followed by 150-200°F.
Typical Applications for Master Bond Potting and Encapsulation Compounds
Typical applications of Master Bond's range of potting compound and encapsulation products include:
• Cable sealing
• Wire wound devices
• Electronic circuits
• Electric components
• Power devices/supplies
• Transformer coils
• Instrument transformers
• Current transformers
• Ensuring dimensional stability
• Power line filters
• Automotive control modules
• Power modules
• Power converters
• Casting rubber release rolls
• Heat dissipation
• Protection of microelectronic devices
• Hybrid circuits
• Medical instrumentation
• MCMs (multi-chip modules)
• Engine control modules
• Display embedments
• Sealing capacitors
• Electronic marine modules (EMMs)
• High density circuit assemblies
• Infiltrate around densely packed components
• Tamper proofing
• Dielectric applications
• Chemical pump base
• Electric insulator
• Heat insulator
• Surge suppressors
• Strain relief or chip encapsulation
• Flame retardance
• Industrial controls
• High voltage resistor packs
• Solar cells
• Measuring equipment
• Test equipment
• Computer printers
• Security protection products
• Climate control systems
• Semiconductor packages
• Ignition control modules
• RF circuits
• Glop top assemblies
• High voltage electrical components
• Stress relief from mechanical and thermal stresses
• Electronic subcomponents and sub-assemblies
• Enhance load bearing characteristics
• Strain sensitive components and circuitry
• Electronic control modules (ECMs)
• Packaging electronic components and assemblies
• Diagnostic instruments
• Prevents reflection and loss of intensity during light transmission
• Coatings for integrated circuit devices in various package designs (DIP, PGA and cavity packs)
• In heat generating electronic devices such as bridge rectifiers, thermistors, and thermal probes
• High voltage applications where surface arcing or tracking is a concern
• Various automotive, electronic, military and industrial components
• Thermal insulation for ablative applications (state change applications that redirect heat and energy)
• Telecommunications applications such as stub cables or load coils
• Airborne applications (requiring low weight and excellent dielectric properties)
• Applications that have rigid or flexible wire leads protruding directly from the encapsulation
• Imaging devices such as laser scanner beds, internal & external drums for image setters and CTP plate setters
• Improves the sensitivity of many optical devices: fiber optics, electro optic systems & lens assemblies, as well as other light sensing instruments
Physical Properties of Potting and Encapsulation Materials
Master Bond's range of potting and encapsulation materials offer protection from :
• Thermal cycling
• Environmental extremes
• Hostile environments
• Low temperatures
• High temperatures
• Thermal Shock
• Inorganic acids
• Inorganic bases
• Organic solvents
• UV degradation
High Performance Potting and Encapsulation Compounds
Master Bond's range of potting compound and encapsulation products are designed to offer superior quality and long term durability. They have earned a well deserved reputation for their performance upon exposure to hostile environmental conditions. Select from a wide range of potting compound and encapsulation products conveniently packaged for ease of use. These compounds are available in different viscosities, cure times, chemical resistances, electrical properties, colors, etc. to best meet specific requirements. They are presently employed in applications ranging from design and production to repair, maintenance and field service.
Important Potting Compound and Encapsulation System Performance Requirements
Master Bond's range of potting compound and encapsulation products are designed to meet specific performance requirements. Among the most important are:
• Chemical Resistance
• Cryogenically Serviceable
• Easily Repairable
• Excellent Adhesion
• Dimensional Stability
• High Temperature Resistance
• Flame Resistance
• Low Thermal Expansion Coefficient
• Low Outgassing
• Low Shrinkage
• Low Stress
• Resistance to Water
• Peel Strength
• Thermal Cycling
• Shock Resistance
• Thermal Conductivity
• Vibration Resistance
• Dielectric Strength
• Volume Resistivity
• Dielectric Constant
• Electrically Insulative
• Tensile Strength
New Potting and Encapsulation Compounds
Master Bond Inc. has recently introduced several unique epoxy adhesive systems designed specifically for high performance requirements. Among the most significant are:
||Two component, toughened epoxy system. Cures at room temperature. Easy application. High strength properties. Exceptional electrical insulation and chemical resistance.
||Low exothermic system. Cures at room temperature or moderately elevated temperatures. Superior dimensional stability. Withstands exposure to chemicals and thermal cycling. Can be cured in various cross section thicknesses.
||Low viscosity two component silicone with superb optical clarity. Resists from -65°F to 400°F. Excellent electrical insulation properties. Vibration, shock and impact resistant. Cures at room temperatures.
||Meets UL94 V-0 flame retardant specification. One to one mix ratio. Resistant to chemicals and thermal cycling. Durable, high strength epoxy system.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Master Bond Inc.
For more information on this source, please visit Master Bond Inc.