The AutoPore V series porosimeters from Micromeritics use the mercury porosimetry analysis method, in which mercury is introduced into a porous structure under closely monitored pressures. Mercury porosimetry is a fast and precise technique for porosity characterization with a broad measurement range, suitable for a wide range of sample types.
The pressure needed to introduce mercury into the pores of a specimen is directly related to pore size. Mercury porosimetry allows the calculation of many sample properties such as total pore volume, pore size distribution, median pore diameter, total pore surface area and sample densities. These metrics can be used to quantify and differentiate material porosity.
The AutoPore V can determine a large pore size distribution quickly and accurately. A quick-scan mode enables a continuous pressure increase in approximating equilibrium to deliver faster screening. For more precision, an equilibration mode delivers more detail and highly accurate measurements for in-depth porosity analysis.
The AutoPore V provides new data reduction and reporting options that offer more data relating to pore geometry and the fluid transport characteristics of sample material. MicroActive software features include a user-defined report and report options, automatic measurement of mercury temperature for accurate density calculations under operating conditions, a method development wizard, and enhanced penetrometer calibration.
AutoPore V enhanced safety features include a mercury temperature sensor, triple fail-safe penetrometer cap assembly, mercury collection trays, mercury vapor detection device, mercury vapor capture filter, and improved funnel and mercury reservoir design.
The AutoPore V series comes in two models 33,000 psia (228 MPa) and 60,000 psia (414 MPa) maximum pressures which are available with two low-and one high-pressure ports or with four low-and two high-pressure ports for added sample throughput
The main features of the AutoPore V-series porosimeters include:
- Low-noise, high-pressure generating system
- Can measure pore diameters from 0.003 to 1100 µm
- Controlled pressure can be raised in increments as fine as 0.05 psia from 0.2 to 50 psia
- High-resolution measurement of intrusion/extrusion volumes produces excellent precision, permitting the development of better sample specifications, high-quality research data, and enhanced production processes
- Functions in scanning and time- or rate-of-intrusion equilibrated modes
- Real-time diagnostics
- Can gather very high-resolution data, better than 0.1 µL for mercury intrusion and extrusion volume
- Enhanced linear motion for high-pressure chamber closure
- Correction routine options for baseline aid in providing much better precision by correcting for compressibility and thermal effects caused by high pressure
- MicroActive software allows users to interactively manipulate data, define custom reports, and realize analytical results quickly