Simplified Rheology for the Masses
The ViscoIndicator is designed specifically for the thermoplastics resin industry, and it provides continuous measurements of the apparent viscosity, intrinsic viscosity, or melt flow rate directly on the extruder.
The ViscoIndicator online rheometer replicates the test conditions of a capillary rheometer or laboratory Melt Flow Rate (MFR) tester. Melt viscosity measurements such as intrinsic viscosity and melt flow rate are primary specifications of thermoplastic resins.
Melt viscosity and MFR are related to polymer molecular properties, so these numbers provide some measure of the physical properties of their product and polymer processability. The ViscoIndicator has a design that will be familiar to most shop personnel.
Why is this important – it reduces the training time for effective measurement of the rheological properties of the polymer process. This, together with the ease of connection, can get users up in running in a short amount of time.
The ViscoIndicator is composed of three main parts:
- A Rheological Sensing Unit (RSU) that can be connected directly to the process and samples, conditions, and measures the resin properties. It can be mounted on reactors, molten polymer transfer lines, and extruders in various orientations.
- A Rheological Control Unit (iRCU) that can control the measurement parameters, such as flow rate, temperature, and pressure, and offers communications to Human Machine Interface (HMI).
- The HMI remotely controls test parameters and provides measured and computed material properties. It shows rheological data in a simple intuitive display that shows intrinsic viscosity, apparent viscosity, or melt flow rate with a simple numeric value or a trending chart with high/low limits. For historical purposes, the data can also be exported for additional historical analysis or for quality control purposes. In addition, the data can be viewed by using the machine or by remote connection with any windows 10 device.
Features and Benefits
The key features and benefits of the ViscoIndicator online rheometer are as follows:
- User Interface based on Windows™ 10 IoT enabling users to control familiar Microsoft services
- Based on the verified technology of the company’s successful ViscoSensor and CMR IV series
- 1/2 -20 Mounting Port that is compatible with the traditional pressure port on extruders
- A range of heated material transfer line options available that allow rheological head to mount into tight spaces
- Offers continuous indication of Melt Flow Rate, Apparent and/or Intrinsic viscosity
- Available with Dynisco Vertex™ Mercury Free Pressure transducer for high accuracy
- Includes one cable power cord and simple cable bundle with robust connectors for fast interconnection between RSU, RCU, and HMI – perfect for self installation
- Quick changing of capillaries
- Material is not sent back to process stream
- Small footprint for easy setup and integration into new and/or existing machinery
ViscoIndicator Rheological Sensing Unit (RSU)
ViscoIndicator Rhelogical Control Unit (i-RCU)
ViscoIndicator Human Machine Interface (HMI)