The ASM International Thermal Spray Society (TSS) understands and supports our industry needs for safety in the thermal spray environment. Premiering this year, industry safety expert Gregory Wuest of Sulzer is teaching the education short course "Thermal Spray Safety" in conjunction with the International Thermal Spray Conference (ITSC) in Houston, May 21-24, 2012.
Thermal spray processes expose workers to a variety of workplace hazards. Employees have the right to leave their workplace healthy each day and employers have the duty to ensure a safe working environment. "Safety must be constantly reinforces and retrained," says Wuest, "and with this course we will be bringing an important message and methodology to employers, managers, supervisors of thermal spray operations, both in industry and academia."
This course focuses on key elements of a comprehensive health and safety system using the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Standard 29 CFR 1910 as a basis. It provides necessary up-to-date information and practices in support of thermal spray and ancillary businesses in accordance with this mandatory Standard. The course utilizes numerous examples demonstrating the practical application of the Standard to real world workplace situations in a typical thermal spray operating environment.
Learning objectives include:
• Understanding the legal basis for workplace Health and Safety in the U.S.
• Recognizing that the U.S. OSHA Standard is a typical representation of good practice worldwide
• Knowing the primary requirements that apply to most thermal spray employers
• Identifying the requirements that affect the workplace
• Citing examples and links between specific thermal spray operations and the requirements of the Standard
• Gaining an understanding of how to set up a comprehensive workplace health and safety system
• Employing the training requirements for employees
• Understanding the record keeping and reporting requirements for compliance
This course will only be offered Sunday, May 20, at ITSC. This is the only 2012 TSS course offering to ensure companies and their employees are in compliance with today's thermal spray safety standards.