During research to develop an ultra-low NOx burner, scientists at the NASA High Speed Research (HSR) programme developed a silicon carbide fibre reinforced silicon carbide (ceramic matrix composite) combustor liner.
Other Significant Developments
Development of this component required the researchers to:
• Develop an advanced silicon carbide fibre with high temperature stability
• Devise a new coating for the silicon carbide fibres
• Formulate a new technique for producing dense composites
• Produce an environmental barrier to prevent against surface recession
Design parameters for the combustor liner included:
• Life of greater than 18000 hours
• Little or no film air cooling
The success of these components is believed to lead to applications in other low emission combustor designs. Further developments will also allow use of similar materials in higher temperature and pressure situations.