Extrel’s MAX300 – BIO is an analytical platform designed to provide real-time process data on up to 80+ reactors within the facility as well as offer high sensitivity to measure trace contaminants in the end product.
Mass spectrometry is a powerful tool for bioreactor monitoring. Any alterations in the headspace composition in a fermentor or bioreactor provide critical information into cellular health and production efficiency. This enables the rapid and precise analysis of the gases flowing out of the reactor essential for real-time process control.
The MAX300-BIO is designed with the advanced quadrupole mass spectrometer technology to quantify bioreactor gases from multiple reactors within the facility and supplies reports to the control system in real-time.
The Questor5 software drives the MAX300-Bio to measure all sample points in a completely customizable sequence for site-specific, automated production control.
Based on the effluent composition, the MAX300-BIO calculates the key indicators of organism health and process efficiency:
- Total gas flow
- Total mass balance
- Respiratory quotient (RQ)
- Carbon dioxide evolution rate (CER)
- Oxygen uptake rate (OUR)
- Liquid concentrations in the vessel
- Batch quality – Testing of minor ppm/ppb level components such as formaldehyde, methanol, acetic acid, etc.
The main features of the MAX300 are listed below:
- Detectable compounds: Any gas or vapor sample
- Detection range - 100% - 10ppm standard, 10ppb with the electron multiplier option
- Number of components - unlimited
- Number of analysis routines - unlimited
- Number of sample streams - 16, 31, 40, 80+
- Analysis rate - <0.4 sec per component
- Number of user-configurable data tags - unlimited
- Analysis precision - <0.25% relative standard deviation
- Stability - <0.5% relative standard deviation over 30 days
- Mass range options - 1-250, 300, or 500amu
- Dual filament - one active/one spare with automatic switchover
- Manual or fully-automated calibration and validation
- Maintenance - typically two PMs per year
The following are the products produced by industrial bioreactors:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Bread products
- Waste treatment
- Pharmaceutical products - Enzymes, antibiotics, steriods and vitamins