“Volunteers are the leadership of our society,” said ASM International President Roger J. Fabian, Bodycote Thermal Processing, Berlin, Conn.
As the materials information society, ASM’s infrastructure of society committees benefit more than 36,000 members worldwide. “Our ASM committees and councils are essential to us as we serve our members and the entire worldwide materials community,” Fabian said in announcing the following appointments:
- Prof. Mufit Akinc, FASM, Materials Science & Engineering, Iowa State University, has
been appointed chair of the ASM College Education Committee.
- Dr. David E. Alman, director, Materials Performance Division, National Energy Technology Laboratory, Albany, Ore., has been reappointed chair of the Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance Committee.
- Dr. Steven M. Arnold, chief, Mechanics and Life Prediction Branch, NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio, has been reappointed chair of the ASM Web Committee.
- Dr. Thomas D. Bayha, director, Titanium Technology Research and Development, ATI Allvac, Monroe, N.C., has been appointed chair of the Advanced Materials & Processes Editorial Committee.
- Prof. Krishan K. Chawla, FASM, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Ala., has been reappointed chair of the International Materials Reviews Committee.
- Dr. Lichun L. Chen, manager, Engineering Development, Technical Materials Incorporated, Lincoln, R.I., has been reappointed chair of the ASM Technical Books Committee.
- Dr. Aladar A. Csontos, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, D.C., continues as chair of the ASM Federal Affairs Committee.
- Dr. Carl J. Czajkowski, director, Homeland Security Activities, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton N.Y., has been appointed chair of the ASM Action in Education Committee.
- Kenneth G. Davis, manager, Business Development, Artistry in Motion, Van Nuys, Calif.,
has been reappointed chair of the ASM Membership Committee.
- Janice Edwards, consultant, J.E. Consulting, Round Lake, Ill., continues as chair of the ASM K-12 Education Committee. The purpose of the subcommittee is to attract future generations to technical careers, particularly in materials science and engineering. Examples of activities include ASM Materials Radio podcasts (www.materialsradio.com) and the “City of Materials” interactive website for middle school students (www.asminternational.tv).
- Dr. Robert L. Freed, senior consultant, DuPont Company, Wilmington, Del., has been appointed chair of the ASM Professional Education Committee.
- Paul L. Huber, chairman of the board, Seco/Warwick Corporation, Meadville, Pa., has been reappointed chair of the ASM Finance Committee.
- Dr. Kent L. Johnson, P.E., FASM, senior consultant, Engineering Systems Incorporated, Aurora, Ill., has been appointed chair of the ASM Handbook Committee.
- Dr. Peggy E. Jones, materials technical specialist, GM Powertrain, Saginaw, Mich., has been
appointed chair of the ASM Chapter Council.
- Dr. Ursula R. Kattner, FASM, physical scientist, NIST/Metallurgy Division, Gaithersburg,
Md., has been reappointed chair of the ASM Alloy Phase Diagram Committee.
- Emily R. Kinser, development integration engineer, IBM, Hopewell Junction, N.Y., has been appointed chair of the ASM Emerging Professionals Committee.
- Dr. Timothy J. Langan, president, Surface Treatment Technologies, Inc., Baltimore, Md.,
continues as chair of the ASM Aerospace and Defense Committee.
- Dr. Colleen F. Legzdins, P.E., senior engineer, Ballard Material Products, West Vancouver, B.C., Canada, continues as co-chair of the ASM Emerging Technologies Committee.
William J. Lenling, vice president and materials engineer, Thermal Spray Technologies,
Inc., Sun Prairie, Wisc., has been appointed chair of the ASM Certification Committee.
- David D. Leon, senior project leader, Alcoa Incorporated, Pittsburgh, Pa., continues as chair of the ASM Primary Metals Committee.
- John J. Letcavits, senior engineer, AEP, Hilliard, Ohio, has been appointed chair of the
ASM Volunteerism Committee.
Dr. Leijun Li, assistant professor, Utah State University has been appointed chair of the
ASM Joining Committee.
- Dr. Philip J. Maziasz, FASM, distinguished R&D staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn., has been appointed chair of the Awards Policy Committee.
- Dennis McGarry, project engineer, SEA Limited, Columbus, Ohio, has been named chair of the ASM Failure Analysis Committee.
- Deborah Mies, program manager, MSC Software Corporation, San Juan Capistrano,
Calif., has been appointed chair of the ASM Materials Properties Database Committee.
- Dr. Rajiv S. Mishra, professor of metallurgical engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, has been named chair of the ASM & TMS Joint Commission on Metallurgical and Materials Transactions.
- Dr. Arianna T. Morales, staff researcher, General Motors, Warren, Mich., has been named
chair of the ASM Ground Transportation Committee.
- Dr. Y.V. Murty, FASM, director of R&D, Cellular Materials International, Charlottesville,
Va., has been reappointed chair of the ASM Manufacturing Committee.
- Dr. Charles A. Parker, FASM, project leader, Honeywell Aerospace, South Bend, Ind., has been reappointed chair of the ASM Emerging Technologies Awareness Committee.
- Veluru Parthsarthy, FASM, managing director, Wave Current Automotives Ltd., Ambattur,
Chennai, India, continues as chair of the ASM India Council.
- Dr. Richard K. Pitler, FASM, senior vice president/technical director (retired), Allegheny Ludlum Corporation, Amelia Island, Fla., has been appointed chair of the ASM Investment & ASM Materials Education Foundation Investment Committee.
- Dr. Ramana G. Reddy, FASM, ACIPCO Professor, The University of Alabama, has been appointed chair of the ASM Materials Science Committee.
- Dr. Sergei A. Shipilov, consultant, Metallurgical Consulting Services Ltd., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, has been appointed chair of the ASM Canada Council.
- Dr. Prabhakar Singh, FASM, fuel cell development manager, Pacific Northwest National
Lab, Richland, Wash., continues as chair of the ASM Energy and Utilities Committee.
- Fred R. Specht, district sales manager, Ajax TOCCO Magnethermic, Cicero, Ill., has been appointed chair of the ASM Events Committee.
Jon D. Tirpak, P.E., FASM, engineering director, ATI, North Charleston, S.C., has been appointed chair of the ASM New Products and Services Committee.
- Dr. Robert C. Tucker, FASM, principal, The Tucker Group LLC, Brownsburg, Ind., has been re-appointed chair of the ASM Education Committee.
Dr. Srinath Viswanathan, FASM, associate professor, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala., continues as chair of the ASM Programming Committee.
- Dr. Ming H. Wu, vice president engineering, Edwards Lifesciences LLC, Irvine, Calif., has
been appointed chair of the ASM Materials and Processes for